Our mission is to democratise opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they study, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 universities. We connect early talent with the 500,000+ employers recruiting on Handshake.
Handshake launched in the UK in 2019 and has already partnered with many of the country’s top universities. We are looking for a part-time support specialist that will help us deliver outstanding customer service to our customers.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply
Handshake is looking to bring on a Customer Support Specialist to provide support to our employer, student, and career services users. This is a zero hour contract with an expectation of 20 hours per week to start. These hours may adjust up or down depending on the volume, time of year, and availability of project based work.
There is an opportunity for this to convert to full-time permanent role in late 2021 based on performance.
If you love working through a high volume of questions that have similar themes, utilizing repeatable procedures, digging into a product, and are resourceful with attention to detail - this is the role for you!
You will work closely with our Customer Support team to provide efficient and effective support and contribute to an overall seamless experience for users. You will help unblock career services, students, and employer users, frequently utilize macros in responding to common questions or issues, and share trends and learnings with the Support team to continue improving the customer experience and our team operations. As an advocate for our career centers, students, and employer users, you’ll improve the Handshake user experience and make an impact on our mission to democratise opportunity.
You will focus on creating resources to support the UK success and support teams. This may involve localising content for the UK market, creating help videos, or running live training sessions for our users.
You will also provide front-line support to Handshake customers via internal ticketing system/emails as needed based on the volume of tickets coming in. Specifically, this will include:
- Use app demo environments, troubleshooting tools, help center, team communication channels, and internal documentation systems to find the quality answer for a wide range of users
- Maintain a standard level of excellence in regards to response times, resolution times, and the quality of the customer support experience.
- Help lead customer training and the creation of resources to support our success and support team members.
- Be both a support specialist and an experienced consultant for users of the Handshake platform
- Utilize internal tools to manage issues between Customer Support and Customer Success
What We’re Looking For
- Location: remotely located. You can be anywhere in the UK.
- Passion for the problem: helping launch careers and grow companies by making the best matches between companies and new graduates
- EQ: A strong sense of empathy with users of our products
- Critical Thinking: high attention to detail and ability to troubleshoot with limited information and a clear plan of action
- Grit: strong work ethic, ambition and a bias for action
- Results oriented and ownership: ability to own the Support queue and maintain or exceed ticket and quality goals (50 tickets per week)
- Technical Aptitude: IT, programming, or database skills or background, or ability to learn technical tools and concepts quickly
- GSD: ability to get things done, independently and collaboratively with a team
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a clear ability to communicate complex topics with simple language. Participates in team and other meetings by actively speaking up, sharing ideas and asking questions.
- Teamwork: connects with teammates and actively builds sense of community on Support and with other teams
- Collaboration and Communication: collaborate with manager and team on daily or weekly guidance on ticket workflows and prioritization
- Expertise and Curiosity: retains knowledge, shows ability to partially solve issues independently, and asks questions to increase personal knowledge. Isn’t afraid to do independent research on third party tools and systems to find answers
- Growth Mindset: positive, eager to learn, utilizes resources, takes and gives feedback, connects with support team and key cross team stakeholders (eg Customer Success, Sales, Product, Engineering)
- Diversity and Inclusion: Eagerness to contribute to and help build a diverse and inclusive team and exhibit these values internally and externally with customers or users
- Coverage: Can provide a regular schedule as needed to provide consistent assistance to users. You are based in the U.K. and not a current student.
- Previous call center and/r technical support experience
- Proficiency in ZenDesk
- IT/Programming/Database Management or Finance background, courses, certifications, etc.