Senior Software Engineer, Platform
Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
What does a Senior Software Engineer, Platform do at Handshake?
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. We are looking for a Software Engineer with strong backend engineering and Ops experience. You'll be working with the Platform team to build core web services and collaborate cross-functionally to build a productive, reliable platform for product engineering.
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on at Handshake:
- Helping to evolve our overall application architecture, applying concepts from domain-driven design and other architectural patterns to build a scalable architectural foundation for product teams.
- Designing, developing, and deploying performant APIs that provide core services to product engineering teams.
- Refactoring systems, services, and tools to better handle increases in volume and scale.
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome oriented.
- You act with empathy when partnering with fellow engineers and coworkers.
- You have 5+ years experience in building web applications in a dynamic development environment.
- You are familiar with and passionate about software architecture patterns, such as Domain-Driven Design, Clean Code/Architecture, etc.
- You have experience working in distributed, performant, at-scale backend systems.
- You are strong in backend engineering, but have passion and knowledge in automation and Ops.
- You appreciate good documentation and procedures.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
Technologies you'll work with:
- Kubernetes, Terraform, GCP, AWS
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Pub/Sub, Elasticsearch
- Ruby on Rails, Golang
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.