Handshake is the number one site for college students to find a job. Today, the Handshake community includes 17 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 colleges and universities — including 120+ minority-serving institutions. We connect up-and-coming talent across all 50 states with nearly 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake — from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of small businesses, nonprofits, startups, and more. Handshake is democratizing opportunity and ensuring college students have the support they need to find a great job and kick-off a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they choose as a major, and who they know.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
Handshake is hiring a Senior Product Manager for its Education product, reporting to the Director Education Product and playing a pivotal role in the evolution of our fast-growing SaaS business and marketplace.
You will be a leader driving the next wave of innovation for Handshake’s Educational Career Services Management platform, which powers career centers’ student services, management of employer relationships and reporting on student outcomes. This is a pivotal role at a key phase of our evolution, as we scale our enterprise offering and support an expanding set of educational institutions such as Community and Technical Colleges, international markets and non-traditional schools, such as adult education and lifelong learning programs.
As a product leader, you’ll plan and deliver a roadmap to:
- Build a best-in-class enterprise toolkit: provide education partners with a platform that helps them to drive student outcomes, expand their reach, streamline internal operations and provide new, innovative services to students
- Drive marketplace value: identify the key areas of value creation across all 3 sides of the network, and align the education product and UX to maximize these
- Plan for scale: evaluate high-leverage areas of the product in service of Handshake’s continued growth to new student populations, partner types and geographic regions
You’ll own the product lifecycle from end-to-end, including:
- Product development process: Working with a high performing cross-functional team, partnering with engineering and design partners from research and roadmap planning to sprint-level delivery
- Launch and adoption: Partner closely on go-to-market and implementation, working with marketing, sales and customer success. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on. It’s never someone else’s problem. You’ll run beta programs and pilots to maximize learning and minimize code investment, getting close to the customer and the details through the process.
- Cross-Handshake partnership: Work with stakeholders across the education business and the other sides of the Handshake ecosystem (employer and student) to bring our partners along as we innovate quickly
- Goals, metrics and tracking: Create a robust and clear thread of data from strategy through development through in-market iteration.
Your Experience and Skills
- Minimum 4+ years experience delivering successful and innovative SaaS B2B products
- New feature development. You have experience building successful products or features from 0 to 1, ideally in the context of an existing product or platform. You’ve been a successful cross-functional leader, with an authentic approach to collaboration and point of view on what makes an effective product development process.
- Focused on with the customer. You’ve developed compelling products by diving deep into the world of the (enterprise) user, understanding their goals, motivations, words, and actions relating to the problems we solve. You listen and explore, and are able to guide research and customer conversations to yield truly applicable findings. You can separate the needs of the customer and the user and serve both parties.
- Communicative. You can effectively communicate with various stakeholder groups, with a strong capacity to deliver complex information simply to multiple audiences.
- Applying data. You are confident using data, with judgment of how and where to dive deep, as well as appreciating the limitations of data in decision making. You know how to identify the minimum data needed to make decisions. You’ve partnered with data scientists for complex investigations, while also pulling data yourself and setting up dashboards for ongoing tracking.
- Ruthless prioritization. You’re confident making complex tradeoffs and educating all stakeholders on those tradeoffs through the process. You can point to countless times where you haven’t shipped what people have asked for, and yet created high satisfaction for the product.
- Mission-aligned. You have a true passion for and commitment to Handshake’s mission. You show up each day to help schools serve all students no matter who they are or where they come from to find and build a meaningful career.
Bonus Areas of Expertise
- Management of self-service subscription SaaS products
- Development of enterprise products that connect to a marketplace
- Strong understanding of the Higher Education landscape and university operations
- Background in EdTech, higher ed, HR and/or recruiting
- Technical fluency, either as an engineer or having built complex products with engineers