Handshake is the number one site for college students to find a job. Today, the Handshake community includes 17 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 colleges and universities — including 120+ minority-serving institutions. We connect up-and-coming talent across all 50 states with nearly 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake — from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of small businesses, nonprofits, startups, and more. Handshake is democratizing opportunity and ensuring college students have the support they need to find a great job and kick-off a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they choose as a major, and who they know.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. This role is for a Software Engineer in Test (SDET) who will be reporting to the Engineering Manager for the Developer Experience team. We are looking for an individual who possesses a quality-first mindset, is an excellent generalist, and is a champion of testing best practices. You'll be working on a multi-functional team with other engineers, designers, and product managers, and have the ability to build tools and processes from the ground up, building the foundation for delivering a high-quality product.
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on at Handshake:
All Engineers at Handshake use automated testing for the majority of the testing. As an SDET at Handshake you will:
- Consult, educate, and aid engineers on best practices of test automation.
- Participate in the product development cycle, collaborate with product managers, designers, and engineers to discover edge-cases early and assist with high-quality rollouts.
- Identify process improvements, error trends and/or root causes, and make recommendations for remedies to colleagues and management.
- Develop systems and processes to refine efficiency of automated testing solutions and increase development productivity.
- Contribute to the team’s effectiveness and efficiency through setting an example of best software development practices.
- You are experienced with software development. You have a strong sense of ownership and passion for clean code and high quality software.
- You are a self-starter with a desire and drive to make things around you better, to learn and grow professionally. You want to make an impact in your career as opposed to just having a “job”.
- You have used automation testing practices with the ability to demonstrate when to apply manual vs automation.
- You are familiar with cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, etc)
- You have a solid understanding of web development and the software development lifecycle
- You have experience working with CI/CD environment and CI/CD tools like Circle CI, Buildkite, etc
What will make you special:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with micro-frameworks, micro-services, and service-oriented architecture
- Developed automation solutions from scratch
Technologies you'll work with:
- Ruby on Rails, Rspec, Capybara, FactoryBot
- React, TypeScript, Redux
- Librato, NewRelic, Bugsnag, Datadog
- GCP, AWS
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.