Path Forward Return to Work Program - Software Engineer
The Path Forward Return to Work program at Handshake is a 16-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to women and men who have at least 5 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 2 years. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply.
Handshake is excited to be part of the Path Forward program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. We also offer support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
How You Will Make an Impact at Handshake
Handshake is building a diverse team of engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. You'll be working on small, multi-functional teams with other engineers, designers and product managers to help shape our product.
You will contribute by:
- Building robust new features on top of our existing foundation to serve our students, university partners, and employer partners.
- Solving challenging and unique problems to improve our student-facing, university-facing, and employer-facing product.
- Collaborating with the Product and Design Teams to build an engaging student experience for the millions of students using Handshake across the country.
- Scaling out and refactoring existing systems in a services-oriented architecture.
- Building valuable college recruiting tools for employers, ranging from Fortune 500 to government and non-profit organizations.
- Speccing, discussing, developing, and deploying large-scale web applications safely and reliably.
What We Look For
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome oriented.
- You have 5+ years experience in building web applications.
- You love to build high-quality web products.
- You have experience working in distributed, performant, at-scale backend systems.
- You are interested in the 'Full Stack' but have passion and knowledge in one or more areas of the web stack.
- You appreciate good design and friendly user-experiences.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
Technologies You'll Work With
- Ruby on Rails
- React, TypeScript, Webpack, Redux, GraphQL
- Kubernetes, PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Slack, GitHub, Buildkite, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!