Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
Handshake is hiring a People Business Partner reporting to the Director of People, on the People team. In this role you will support specific teams and their leaders during a period of high growth, helping to facilitate smooth organizational changes as well as creating systems and processes to best support development and engagement in our employees. You will be a thought partner to people managers, and provide insight and guidance as needed.
You will work closely with the other members of our People team and our VP of People and Talent to help set strategy and partner on company-wide projects such as Feedback and Compensation Reviews, Engagement Surveys, and more. As your organization scales, you will provide work direction to more junior team members as well as develop strong partnerships with directors and VPs.
- Partner with leaders to establish plans and provide strategic guidance on a variety of employee-related topics. This includes employee engagement, workforce planning, talent retention, and overall business performance.
- Work with people managers as a coach, providing mentorship and guidance in situations regarding conflict management and resolution as well as talent management and motivation.
- Be the primary point of contact for HR programs, tools, metrics, and analytics impacting your organization.
- Collaborate with the rest of the People and Talent team on company-wide initiatives and goals to ensure successful rollout (e.g., compensation and feedback reviews, learning and development, organizational changes).
- Analyze and reflect on current practices and policies to ensure that they scale with our organization, and recommend changes where appropriate
- Assist with the communication and rollout of updated or new people programs and policies
- Be proactive in translating business needs and requests into HR solutions
- Minimum of 3+ years of progressive experience as a People/HR Business Partner
- Strong EQ and sense of empathy towards all employees
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills - you can work effectively across all employee levels, and utilize a variety of methods to ensure shared understanding
- Thorough understanding of relevant employment laws and their impact upon employee populations
- Demonstrated track record of growing inclusive organizations in a culture and values-aligned way
- Deep knowledge and experience applying HR best practices around coaching, employee engagement, and change management
- Proven track record of identifying people problems and using strategic skills to drive and influence appropriate solutions
- Ability to work independently and come up with creative solutions - you are an adept and agile problem solver!
- Comfort with people analytics and metrics, including experience using data to inform decision making and drive forward change
- Ability to balance strategic leadership responsibilities with a bias towards action - you have experience with managing both short-term and long-term goals
Bonus Areas of Expertise:
- Experience working with Go-To-Market and/or Customer-Facing organizations
- Experience working with global or international populations
- Experience working in a rapidly-growing startup or tech environment
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.