Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
How You Would Make an Impact at Handshake
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high-quality, high-impact product. We are looking for a Full-Stack Engineer who is an excellent generalist and has a strong focus on product development. You'll be working on small, multi-functional teams with other engineers, designers and product managers. You’ll get to share your perspective as a student and collaborate across teams to help shape our product.
Opportunities and Responsibilities
- Building robust new features on top of our existing foundation to serve our students, university partners, and employer partners.
- Solving challenging and unique problems to improve our student-facing, university-facing, and employer-facing product.
- Collaborating with the Product and Design Teams to build an engaging student experience for the millions of students using Handshake across the country.
- Scaling out and refactoring existing systems in a services-oriented architecture.
- Building valuable college recruiting tools for employers, ranging from Fortune 500 to government and non-profit organizations.
- Speccing, discussing, developing, and deploying large-scale web applications safely and reliably.
- Pursuing a CS Degree
- Deep interest in building high quality web or mobile products
- You’re interested in Full Stack and are passionate and knowledgeable about one or more areas of the stack.
- You love good design and friendly user-experiences.
- You have a healthy appetite for automation, testing and building robust distributed systems.
- You are proud of your craft - you value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
- You have experience working with backend, including the MVC architecture design pattern like Ruby on Rails or Django
- Prior internship experience preferred
Technologies you'll get to work with
- Ruby on Rails
- React, TypeScript, Redux, Webpack
- Heroku, Google Cloud, PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Slack, Librato, NewRelic, Bugsnag, and PagerDuty
Our Mission for Your Internship
Handshake’s unique, comprehensive intern program will provide you with the tools and knowledge to carry you forward in your career. As a Handshake Intern, you’ll have an opportunity to experience meaningful work in your area of interest, define your career goals, develop new skills, and build relationships across Team Handshake.
We are growing rapidly so you will enjoy working in a fast-paced, fun environment with a team dedicated to our mission of helping students. We love to collaborate, make an impact and act with empathy as we build the Handshake product. You will spend time with a diverse group of individuals who are just as motivated, talented, and creative as you are.
We strongly encourage you to apply using the Handshake platform!