Our mission is to democratize opportunity - to make it easy for any student to build a great career, no matter where they go to school, what they're majoring in, or who they know.
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
How You Would Make an Impact at Handshake
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high-quality, high-impact product. We are looking for a Data Scientist intern who is an excellent generalist and has a strong focus on product development. You'll be working on small, multi-functional teams with other engineers, designers and product managers. You’ll get to share your perspective as a student and collaborate across teams to help shape our product.
Opportunities and Responsibilities
- Make sense of Handshake’s unique dataset (20m students, 50m job postings, 800+ universities)
- Build and deploy robust new machine learning models that dramatically improve the student experience on the platform
- Create and maintain dashboards for analyzing the results of A/B tests and other product experiments
- Work in tandem with product management, engineering, and design teams to solve engineering and design challenges
- Currently pursuing a degree in CS, Math, Statistics, Physics, Economics or other quantitative field
- Strong skills in statistics, probability, and machine learning
- Great communication skills, and experience telling stories with data
- Deep understanding of modern machine learning techniques and their mathematical underpinning, such as classification, recommendation systems and natural language processing
- Strong programming skills (Python or Scala preferred)
- Experience with distributed machine learning and computing framework (Spark) - applied experience preferred
- Experience productionizing machine learning models is a plus
- Prior internship experience preferred
Technologies you'll get to work with
- Languages of data manipulation (e.g. SQL) and statistical analysis and modeling (Python)
- Managed platform for machine learning (ML Engine on GCP)
- Data processing and visualization tools (Spark, Snowflake, BigQuery, Looker)
- Notebook for data exploration (JupyterLab)
Our Mission for Your Internship
Handshake’s unique, comprehensive intern program will provide you with the tools and knowledge to carry you forward in your career. As a Handshake Intern, you’ll have an opportunity to experience meaningful work in your area of interest, define your career goals, develop new skills, and build relationships across Team Handshake.
We are growing rapidly so you will enjoy working in a fast-paced, fun environment with a team dedicated to our mission of helping students. We love to collaborate, make an impact and act with empathy as we build the Handshake product. You will spend time with a diverse group of individuals who are just as motivated, talented, and creative as you are.
We strongly encourage you to apply using the Handshake platform!