Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
Handshake is hiring a Director of Student Product reporting to the VP of Product, on the Student team. In this role you will help to drive to the student product strategy and ensure that the team delivers against our ambitious goal of ensuring every student (and young alumni) is on the path to a meaningful career.
- Drive the development of our student product strategy, aligning with the overarching business strategy and including identification and development of market opportunities.
- Be the linchpin between the leadership team and the student product management/development organization, surfacing the needs for the people in your product organization, and providing broader business context back to them.
- Be an authority on the competitive landscape and our differentiation, our user personas and our unique value propositions to them.
- Passionately champion our students, understand the world from where they sit and be certain the value we create is being well delivered and received.
- Lead a team of product managers who focus on the entire student journey on Handshake across web and mobile.
- Continue to build and maintain an ambitious, collaborative, and agile product organization.
- Establish structures and methods to allow continuous improvement and deliver world class product.
- Build and nurture collaborative relationships with the heads of engineering, design & marketing.
- Define and track product success metrics and ensure we deliver against ambitious goals.
- You’ve been managing successful online products for 5-10 years, and product managers for at least 2 years.
- Your peers, colleagues and managers would happily identify you as a leader.
- You’re skilled at giving and getting feedback.
- You’re confident enough to hire people smarter than you and clever enough that you can still help them learn.
- You’ve helped to create a positive and diverse environment, motivating and getting the best out of your team, and helping them to grow and develop.
- You’ve had objective success with the products you’ve helped create and manage.
- You’re a critical thinker, analytical and a natural problem solver who can make order out of chaos and distill insights from raw data.
- You believe in accountability and driving the teams to their targets
Bonus Areas of Expertise:
- Two (or three) sided marketplaces
- Fast growing tech startups
- Working with distributed teams
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.