Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
What does a Senior Devops Engineer do at Handshake?
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. We are looking for a Senior Devops Engineer who is an excellent operations engineer with a strong focus in automation. You'll be working with the Platform Team whose goal is to build and maintain our cloud infrastructure and collaborate across all of engineering to build a productive, stable platform for product engineering.
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on
- Working with Product and Engineering peers to build an Engineering Platform that is reliable, scalable, performant, secure and productive.
- Develop systems to support Backend Engineers driving transition to a Services Oriented Architecture.
- Maintain and optimize our databases including Postgres, Elasticsearch, Redis, and GCP Serverless Databases.
- Building networking infrastructure to support international expansion with world-class security, performance and maintainability.
- Improve upon our CI/CD infrastructure for our quickly growing engineering team to ensure safe and reliable Continuous Deployment.
- Automating infrastructure provisioning and configuration through tools like Terraform and Kubernetes
What we look for
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome oriented.
- You act with empathy when partnering with fellow engineers and coworkers
- You have 5+ years experience in building consumer-facing web infrastructure in a dynamic development environment.
- You are passionate about building simple and high quality infrastructure.
- You have experience working in distributed, performant, at-scale backend systems.
- You are strong in Operations, but have passion and knowledge in automation and backend engineering.
- You appreciate good documentation and procedures.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
Technologies you'll work with
- Kubernetes, GCP, AWS
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Pub/Sub, ElasticSearch
- Ruby on Rails, Golang
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.