Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
At the heart of Handshake product development is an experimentation-driven culture led by data scientists and engineering. To improve outcome for both our students and employers, we are continually innovating across our applications from creating new entry points and offering a more connected experience for students, to optimizing the marketplace and the matching between students and opportunities on our platform. We are seeking an experienced, creative data scientist to help connect higher education to employers at scale. This is a high-impact position where you will influence product strategy and decisions affecting millions of students through experimentation, statistical modelling, analysis and interpretation of results.
- Lead the research and development of new modeling approaches and experimentation methods that could sharpen or speed up decision making and move key metrics
- Proactively perform data exploration on user behavior to discover future testing opportunities
- Be a tactful and effective partner to product managers; help design and analyze experiments that drive key product decisions
- Present your research, including metric development and measurement methodologies to all levels of the company, clearly and concisely
- An undergraduate degree in an analytics heavy major plus at least 6 years of experience with a proven track record of leveraging analytics to drive significant business impact; and/or a graduate degree in a relevant technical field (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics) plus at least 4 years of experience with a proven track record of leveraging analytics to drive significant business impact
- Deep understanding of statistical analysis, common pitfalls of data analysis, and ability to deep dive into complex data models and advanced knowledge of SQL
- Experience working directly with cross-functional teams such as leadership, product management, and engineering
- Ability to start, own and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Excellent communication skills -- ability to succinctly communicate results and tell compelling stories with data to any audience (e.g. presenting findings and deep-dives to senior leadership)
Bonus Areas of Expertise:
- Experience building with an eye for data quality and integrity
- Experience with consumer applications
- Machine learning knowledge with a focus on contextual bandits, reinforcement learning, recommender systems or/and knowledge of common Data Science concepts related to e-commerce (e.g. lifetime value, net incremental revenue, churn) is a plus
- Having mentored people in your team or organization or conducted technical trainings
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.