Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
Millions of students log into Handshake every day, trying to figure out what is next for them. Currently, Handshake is a jobs board. To achieve our mission we know we need to be more. This year we’re looking to build products that address the systemic inequalities that exist in our job market today.
We’re looking for a strong product designer to focus on our Student design efforts around:
- Community: people get jobs through people they know. We want to help students create their professional network in a democratic way.
- Guidance: students from under-resourced schools without parental support often don’t know how to go about the jobs process to be successful. We want to help demystify the job process and help all students to be successful.
- Credentials: students are evaluated based on their GPA and where they went to school. We want to create credentials where everyone can display their potential in a meaningful way.
As a Student Product Designer you would be responsible designing experiences that change the landscape of the college to career journey for students from all backgrounds.
- Partner with product, engineering and data teams to define problems, goals and the product strategy to achieve those goals.
- Own designs end-to-end from conception to post-launch: mapping user flows, prototyping interactions, creating high-fidelity mocks, and overseeing the building process
- Solve difficult and often ambiguous human design problems with clear simple solutions
- Rapidly iterate on designs, creating wireframes and prototypes to get feedback always and often from students
- Obsess over the visual and interaction design
- Identify future opportunities, brainstorming and working as a thought partner with your product development team
- Minimum 3-7 years in consumer product design or equivalent education
- Great communicator. You are able to clearly communicate the story of designs and the design thinking behind them to the team and leadership.
- Strong visual and interaction design background with a proven track record of impact.
- Collaborative. Everyone at Handshake is here to help students. You recognize the strengths of others and incorporate them into the design process to achieve better outcomes.
- Design thinker. You elevate those around you by bringing design thinking into your day-to-day and making those around you stronger design thinkers.
- Impact driven. You ruthlessly prioritize and focus only on what is the most impactful to the mission.
- Student obsession. You dive head first into understanding our students, making sure their voice is clear in the design process
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on. It’s never someone else’s problem.
- A true passion for and commitment to Handshake’s mission. You show up each day to help all students no matter who they are or where they come from find and build a meaningful career.
- You are constantly learning and growing.
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Fitness: Free fitness facility in our office building
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...and much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.