We’re looking for our first Business Development and Partnerships Lead to help build a network of external partnerships, from strategy to initial outreach to execution and relationship management, that can have the biggest impact on building the Handshake business and helping Handshake achieve its mission of democratizing opportunity - to make it easy for any student to build a great career, no matter where they go to school, what they're majoring in, or who they know.
Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
- As our first BD and Partnerships lead, you will report to our COO and be the company's point person on developing our external partnership strategy to advance the following core goals:
- Students: Helping every student get equal access to meaningful employment opportunities, access to information and social capital to help build an understanding of the career process, and skill/professional development that will help all students show off their best selves.
- Employers: Better connect recruiters with diverse, talented, and qualified applicants for their jobs from every school and every background.
- Schools: Enabling schools to better prepare students for the rapidly changing needs of the workforce, and find meaningful work for students, and finding ways to partner more deeply with all parts of a college or university, from admissions through alumni development.
- Impact: Understanding how professional opportunities and development facilitated through the Handshake platform translates into overall increased well-being and impact to our users and to society more broadly.
- Growth: Continuing to grow and expand the business into new markets and verticals, consistent with our overall vision and mission.
- Befitting a fast-growing startup, you will not just build the strategy but be responsible for executing and delivering results. Based on the strategy and prioritization work outlined above, you will work cross-functionally with product, marketing, sales, customer success, legal, finance, etc, to:
- Identify potential targets
- Cultivate prospective leads
- Evaluate and present costs/benefits to senior leadership
- Negotiate complex business terms of partnerships
- Manage partner relationships
- Ensure partnership delivery and success
- You will have the potential to grow and manage a BD / Partnerships team over time.
- You will provide overall insights, relationships, and thought leadership that drives learning within the organization, and guides the future product direction at Handshake.
- You will represent Handshake externally, with potential partners and within the industry, helping to grow Handshake’s and your personal brand.
- You will embody Handshake’s core value of “Focus on Impact” and effectively prioritize your time in a world of infinite possibilities, focusing on those partnerships that will have maximum impact to our business and customers.
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience, which could include partnerships/business development, investing, banking and/or management consulting
- A clear and dedicated passion for our mission to democratize opportunity for students everywhere, mixed with a commercial mindset and ability to drive business success.
- Evidence of a clear bias to action, embodied in our value of “Move Quickly but Don’t Rush.”. You are thoughtful and strategic but always looking to make progress and drive initiatives forward.
- Experience with many aspects of the partnership cycle (including sourcing/identification, negotiation, and ongoing management).
- Clear evidence of grit, determination and drive needed to drive a partnership from concept to plan to successful implementation across multiple partners.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively about complex issues, leading to thoughtful recommendations, and turning insights into action.
- Extremely organized, with the ability to multitask on projects across teams.
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally and experience managing diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and relationship-building skills; able to engage with all levels of an organization.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Bachelors degree, MBA a plus.