We’re looking for our first in-house counsel to help ensure Handshake, our employees, customers and partners are protected and empowered by the right legal support and leadership to help achieve our mission of democratizing opportunity - to make it easy for any student to build a great career, no matter where they go to school, what they're majoring in, or who they know.
Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
- As our first in-house attorney, you will report to our COO and be the company's guide to all legal matters, in partnership with outside counsel, covering a range of issues from corporate finance and fundraising to employment and HR policies, sales and partnership contracts, data privacy concerns, strategic partnerships and other corporate transactions, among other issues.
- You will help turn ambiguity into scalable processes. You will not be dropped into a role where all processes and systems are already in place. Our expectation is that you will want to shape, own and be proud of the policies and supporting infrastructure you’ll put in place.
- You will regularly collaborate with business executives and team members from all the business units and functional areas, including sales, product, marketing, engineering, finance and HR, on a broad range of complex legal, business and strategic issues.
- You will embody Handshake’s core value of “Move Quickly, but Don’t Rush” and help build the right process and structures that encourage thoughtful protection for all of our stakeholders while facilitating fast-paced innovation.
- JD and 4-8 years of relevant experience in law firms and/or in-house legal departments, ideally with a technology company.
- Strong core corporate / transactional experience - drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and advising on a variety of transactions, including software and service agreements.
- Good understanding of one or more of the following areas of the law - employment (with immigration experience a plus), commercial, intellectual property, global data privacy - combined with a demonstrable track record of quickly learning new areas of law and providing timely, effective, and strategic legal advice in a fast-paced environment.
- Great teammate with strong work ethic who is comfortable working in a dynamic environment and with other internal teams like engineers, junior and senior sales representatives, product managers, marketing teams, etc.
- Ability to work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and call out issues when needed.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly changing with an ability to prioritize and re-prioritize based upon the needs of the business.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- High level of personal integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, sense of humor, and willingness to grow.
- Member of the California Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as California Registered In-House Counsel.