Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
What does a Backend Engineer do at Handshake?
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. We're looking for someone who's passionate about reliability, performance, and scalability of backend systems. Whether it's building out new API endpoints or refactoring a backend system to scale with our growth, Backend Engineering will play a critical role in Handshake's growth. As a member of the team, you'll be making critical architectural decisions that impact the productivity, reliability, and scalability of our entire platform. You'll be working on small, multi-functional teams with other engineers, designers, and product managers.
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on
We're focused on innovation within the core experience for students, employers, and universities, constantly improving our technical foundation and user experience. Your job may include:
- Developing and deploying large-scale web applications safely and reliably.
- Solving challenging and unique problems with our dynamic three-sided marketplace: Students, Employers, and School Administrators.
- Scaling our application to handle the tens of thousands of requests per minute we receive on a normal day in addition to handling spikes of traffic during peak usage.
- Optimizing databases, caches, and overall system performance in both the web servers and batch processing.
What we look for
- You are passionate and energized helping people of all types and backgrounds launch meaningful careers.
- You have 5+ years of experience of backend engineering work in a dynamic development environment.
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome oriented.
- You have experience working in distributed, performant, at-scale backend systems.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy clean code that scales to be both reliable, performant, and maintainable.
- You care deeply about designing systems with architecture that scales.
- You have a good understanding of distributed systems, data stores, data modeling, indexing, and associated trade-offs.
- You have a healthy appetite for automation, testing and building robust distributed systems.
Technologies you'll work with
- Ruby on Rails, GraphQL
- Kubernetes, GCP, PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.