We are looking for a dynamic, passionate and experienced Communications leader to help tell the Handshake story to the world, through media, social channels and other outlets where our current and potential customers, employees, investors, partners and the wider world are watching.
Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
- Develop the external communication strategy and establish/strengthen authentic connections for a three-sided marketplace: students, universities, and employers
- Work with senior leaders to develop key narratives that elevate Handshake’s corporate brand and thought leadership.
- Act as primary contact for top-tier press, giving us both broad and deep connections to business and consumer press
- Generate rich, engaging coverage of Handshake in areas that will make the biggest impact with our customers, particularly with senior education leaders and senior recruiting leaders, driving near-term business impact and long-term brand awareness.
- Build and execute an events and speaking strategy that puts Handshake leaders and spokespeople in the right position to build our brand with the right audiences.
- Coordinate and manage our executive team as spokespeople, including creating positioning, facilitating training, and producing executive communications ranging from ghostwriting to prep for broadcast
- Proactively report on outcomes, tactics, and program evolution to internal teams (executives as well as the company at large)
- 8-10+ years experience with proven track record in PR/corporate communications, including direct experience working with a variety of media, such as print, broadcast, digital.
- Expert skills in communications, media relations, writing, message development and reputation management.
- Demonstrated ability to work with C-level executives on message development for key corporate priorities and timely issues.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills. Ability to present projects clearly and collect and act on feedback from a broad group of stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively manage high-pressure crisis situations, and work in ambiguity to define a clear path.
- Ability to “see the bigger picture” and ensure you are leveraging Handshake’s resources to greatest impact.
- Experience with analyzing and drawing conclusions from a broad set of data. Ability to work with data teams to turn insights into actionable recommendations.
- Acute attention to detail and highly organized — able to successfully prioritize across multiple projects.
- Ability to work creatively and demonstrate strong entrepreneurial skills in a startup environment.
- Understanding of domestic and international media markets.
- Excellent relationship-building skills.
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!