Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
What does a Lead Data Engineer do at Handshake?
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. We are looking for Lead Data Engineers who will partner with our CTO to build a strong data foundation for the company. You will use your technical knowledge and leadership to drive the architecture, implementation and evolution of the data platform we are current developing. You will also be working with product teams helping millions of students find meaningful careers regardless of where they go to school, who their parents know, or how much money they have.
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on
We're focused on building a data platform that will ensure all teams are capable of creating data-driven features, and all sides of the business have access to the right data to make the correct decisions. Your job may include:
- Working closely with product managers and product engineers to ship data-driven features
- Closely interact with data scientists and analysts to build pipelines and warehousing solutions
- Translate business requirements into data models that are easy to understand and used by different disciplines across the company
- Design, implement and build pipelines that deliver data with measurable quality under the SLA
- Partner with our infrastructure team to build core data infrastructure
What we look for
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome oriented.
- You have a consistent track record of designing and implementing scalable, robust data pipelines, data services and data products.
- You have experience working with tracking systems, click streams and session analytics.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
- You have experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering.
- You have the ability to navigate between big-picture and implementation details.
- You have 5+ years of relevant experience.
Technologies you'll work with
- Big Data warehouses and processing frameworks such as Spark, Snowflake, BigQuery, Presto,...
- Analytics framework such as Segment
- Cloud infrastructure such as AWS and GCP
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!