Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
What does a Senior Data Engineer do at Handshake?
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. We are looking for Senior Data Engineers who can help us build and evolve our data platform. You’ll work with Data Scientists, Analysts, and product teams to ensure we leverage data to its fullest across the product.
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on
We're focused on building a data platform that will ensure all teams are capable of creating data-driven features, and all sides of the business have access to the right data to make the correct decisions. Your job may include:
- Working closely with product managers and product engineers to ship data-driven features
- Closely interact with data scientists and analysts to build pipelines and warehousing solutions
- Work with the CTO and infrastructure team to build core data infrastructure
What we look for
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome oriented.
- You have 5+ years experience in building data- or backend-related systems.
- You have experience working in distributed, performant, at-scale backend systems.
- You have experience working with tracking systems, click streams and session analytics.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
Technologies you'll work with
- Segment Analytics
- Snowflake, Postgres, Elasticsearch, Redis and other distributed datastore
- Ruby on Rails
- Cloud infrastructure such as AWS and GCP
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!