Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
What does an SDET do at Handshake?
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. This role is for a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) who will be reporting to a Quality Engineering lead on a Quality Engineering team. We are looking for an individual who possesses quality-first mindset, is an excellent generalist, and has a strong focus on building tools, libraries, and employing automation to optimize our internal processes. You'll be working on small, multi-functional team with other engineers, designers, and product managers, and have an ability to build tools and processes from the ground up building the foundation for delivering high-quality product.
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on at Handshake:
All Engineers at Handshake use automated testing for the majority of the testing. As an SDET at Handshake you will:
- Design, code, debug and maintain automation frameworks, tools and libraries that can easily be adopted by engineers.
- Consult, educate and aid engineers on best practices of test automation.
- Improve canary and A/B testing frameworks
- Participate in product development cycle, collaborate with PMs, designer and engineerings to discover edge-cases early and assist with high-quality rollouts.
- Identifying process improvements, error trends and/or the root causes and make recommendations for remedies to colleagues and management.
- Develop systems and processes to refine efficiency of automated testing solutions and increase development productivity.
- Contribute the team’s effectiveness and efficiency through setting an example of best software development practices
- You are experienced with software development. You have a strong sense of ownership and passion for clean code and high quality software.
- You are a self-starter with a desire and drive to make things around you better, to learn and grow professionally. You want to make an impact in your career as opposed to just having a “job”.
- You have used automation testing practices with the ability to demonstrate when to apply manual vs automation.
- You are familiar with Cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, etc)
- You are experienced with mobile test automation frameworks such as espresso, xctest
- You have solid understanding of web and mobile development and software development lifecycle
- You have experience working with CI/CD environment and CI/CD tools like Circle CI, TravisCI, etc
What will make you special:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with micro-frameworks, micro-services, and service-oriented architecture
- Developed automation solutions from scratch
- Familiarity with Kotlin, Swift, Objective C
Technologies you'll work with:
- Ruby on Rails, Rspec, Capybara, FactoryBot, Swift, Kotlin
- React, TypeScript, Redux
- Librato, NewRelic, Bugsnag, Datadog
- GCP, AWS
Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.