We’re looking for…
We have a unique opportunity to build something amazing for the queer community, and we're looking for someone who shares our righteous outrage that it's expensive to be queer, and has the chops to do something about it.
We're building the founding team of engineers, and are assembling a cast of characters that will form the DNA of the technical side of our business. For this role, we're looking for a backend engineer with experience building best-in-class systems using Ruby on Rails
If you're excited by the opportunity that uncertainty brings, relish the chance to release frequently and be data driven, and iterate rapidly on software and process then this could be the place for you.
What you’ll get to do here…
We've come a long way building our MVP of what queer banking could look like, but we're just getting started. We're at an important stage in developing our software, and you'll get to play a key role both helping to shape that vision, as well as taking ownership of the development and architecture of significant parts of our platform.
This is early stage, and we have big plans for the future. We're looking for a mid-senior level Backend engineer who can help us get there
. Here are some of the things you could be working on in the next 12 months:
- Help us transition our backend MVP from Clojure to Rails
- Working with our engineering leads to establish core patterns and practices in the backend app codebase
- Transitioning our banking products from GPR rails to DDA
In the coming months
- Iterating our APIs rapidly and integrating with third parties to provide enriched transaction data and community interaction
- Stewarding an amazing application experience to life as we launch our core banking functionality
Over the next year or so
- Help us develop core banking features to democratize finance - think social savings, peer contributions, credit building products
- Hard data problems - figuring out how to track the data and spot the themes that show that our community is not homogeneuous; and give us the ability to speak to each of our customers as the uniquely fabulous individuals that they are.
- And a whole bunch of things you'll come up with and bring to the table to help grow our product, engineering culture and team.
How you might be qualified…
Here's some of the things that might make you a great fit for our team:
- You have previous early stage startup experience in fast growing consumer facing products and / or fintech
- You have been a key member of a development team delivering work iteratively
- You know what it means to build consumer facing tech in a regulated domain
- You have deep experience using Rails to deliver best-in-class APIs
- It makes your heart hurt to see pixel wonkiness in your app
- You pride yourself on your ability to communicate complex concepts or code to anyone who’ll listen, whether they’re technical or not
- You think democratizing finance is a great way to level the playing field for the queer community
- You want to have an outsized impact building the culture of a growing engineering organization
But here's the thing - our needs are as diverse as our community. If you've read this far, and think you'd be great for the team and we're missing something, let us know!
We're not looking for an ordinary individual — if you're smart, passionate about solving some of the hardest problems facing our community and have a solid startup engineering background, you'll have the opportunity to make a significant impact on the daily lives of the 30m Americans who identify as queer. Come join us!
Joining the team means you’ll join us as we go looking for trouble (so we can solve it!). That means that you will exemplify our behaviours.
1. Tenacious – You’re persistent and persevering. You’re resilient. You never give up.
2. Attentive – You’re great at listening and observing. Your understanding drives empathy and shapes what we create and how we respond.
3. Clever – You’re not just smart. You’re ingenious, bright and skilled. Ready to figure things out. (You’re also not afraid of being clever. Think witty and unexpected with a dash of humor)
4. Celebratory – This is more than pride. You’re affirming—you see and cheer on personal wins, set and met goals and the community around us.
Things that will accelerate your success at Daylight…
Understanding of the LGBT+ market through professional or lived experience, for example as family or friends of LGBT+ people; participating in LGBT+ allyship activities and/or direct service provision to LGBT+ people in a professional setting.
Daylight’s value, Attentive, means that we aim to create a culture of empathy where everyone can belong and be their real authentic selves in the office. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives, though we have strict policies in place against racism, homophobia, biphobia and transphobia. LGBT+ people have a wide variety of lifestyles and we offer an affirming company (not just judgement-free), and you’ll need to be open minded to work in our company.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.