Sr. BI Developer, Data Services
Position Location: Flexible (Boston, DC, or Remote)
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For over 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works.
About the position:
Fifteen million people turn to the workforce system each year for advice and information to help them navigate the complexities of life, learning, and work. The workforce system is poised to transform to create greater impact through the use of data and deeper insight into emerging education opportunities, learning outcomes, and labor market shifts.
Accomplishing this will require substantial improvements in data infrastructure and capacity: decision-makers will need timely access to data and outcomes metrics and the capacity to interpret and use them.
The Senior BI Developer, Data Services will contribute to the design, implementation and maintenance of new data products and analytics in service of the Opportunity for Outcomes Initiative, a program of JFFLabs. This role will report to the Director, Data Services and assist the director in understanding the needs of the workforce community, work with our Senior UX Designer and translate product designs into usable data products.
Learn more about JFF and JFFLabs here.
Data Products & Analytics
- Develops understanding of the workforce system and its processes, stakeholders and data usage
- Designs, builds, and maintains dashboards, interactive visualizations, and other (external and internal) dissemination channels using cloud-based platforms such as Domo or comparable platforms
- Responsible for data collection, management, analysis and effective dissemination of data
- Responsible for analysis of data and developing data models for efficient collection and dissemination
- Implements data structures using best practices in data modeling, processes, and technologies.
- Assesses structure and content of source data and implement data structures using best practices in data modeling, processes, and technologies
- Performs data conversions, imports, and exports of data within and between internal and external systems
- Develops data models from data located within multiple data stores utilizing data solutions such as PostgreSQL, SQLServer, Amazon Redshift, or similar.
- Implements ETL / ELT processes, data flows, data quality procedures, and data management in support of business analytics
- Implements data collection pipelines from multiple data sources including cloud-based databases, and API-based data sources
- Implements tools and frameworks for automation, data quality, and data governance
- Leads the integration efforts between the BI platform with enterprise systems and applications such as Salesforce, ADP, CMS, and others
- Creates scalable, efficient, automated processes for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation, and model implementation
- Manages dashboards, pages, and sites published through the Content Management System (CMS) including front-end custom-code implementations
- Works independently with teams and units within JFF, supporting and advising them in their implementation of BI and analytics products
- Works with third-party technology and service providers on data collection from JFF’s partners and clients
- Facilitates discussions between non-technical users and technology teams
Customer / Team Engagement
- Collaborates with UX Designer, analytics developer, technology providers, and external organizations where applicable
- Works with technology and data teams in vendors and partner organizations
- Interacts with JFF’s IT, Research and Analytics, and other teams to establish and advance enterprise-wide data platform and governance
- Provides technical expertise and leverage industry trends and emerging new technologies to provide advice on innovative products and strategies
- Consult with external partners and customers to provide advice and guidance on how data tools and technologies can improve operations and strategy
- Works with the team to guide implementation of data product design
- You bring 5+ years hands on experience implementing BI/Analytics solutions and working with cloud-based data platforms such as Domo or comparable data platforms
- You possess high energy and passion for JFF’s mission. While not required, the ideal candidate, will bring an interest in workforce development, adult education, education management or similar domains as demonstrated by past professional contexts or volunteer engagements.
- You have an ability to identify and work within a variety of data sources with the additional ability to structure data validation to ensure data integrity
- You have a proven track record in developing interactive applications, dashboards, and reports for users
- You demonstrate strong knowledge of SQL; and familiarity with cloud-based data warehouses such as Redshift, or similar such as Snowflake, PostgreSQL, others
- You bring Experience with XML, JSON and API calls
- You possess familiarity with Python or R, similar programming languages
- You are familiar with application frameworks such as REACT, VUE, or similar
- You have experience with coding and ability to troubleshoot using HTML, CSS, and comparable languages
- You have experience working remotely with data consumers and have a strong ability to work with external stakeholders
- You are a strong project manage, with an ability to prioritize and manage several milestones and projects efficiently
- You model inclusive leadership, working effectively with diverse staff, and building and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion
- You contribute positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work and an ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives and data to inform your work
- You demonstrate a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve in your work and approach
- You are available to travel periodically, potentially ~25% of the time as necessary (please note: JFF staff are not currently traveling due to COVID-19 restrictions and to prioritize the health and safety of our staff.)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
Please upload a resume and a thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, addressed to Eshwar Eswaran.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.