JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works.
About the position:
Reporting to the Vice President, People & Culture, the Director is a new role serving on a nine-member People & Culture team that leads JFF’s talent function. Partnering closely with the People & Culture team, finance and other organizational services functions, the Director will provide subject matter expertise and leadership for all things HR administration including compensation, benefits and total rewards, employee relations, and performance management and will inform and build HR systems and strategies that align with JFF’s strategic goals and priorities. The Director will directly manage one HR Specialist.
This role is instrumental in designing people-centered human resources processes that keep pace with JFF’s evolution and growth, and will take ownership of the implementation and execution of those processes to ensure we provide an excellent employee experience from the time of hire through critical touchpoints in the employee’s staff journey. The Director will also ensure that the design and implementation of our HR practices are grounded in our commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
JFF’s People & Culture team is dynamic, fast-paced and results-oriented, and plays a critical role in supporting JFF’s New Horizons vision. The team is growing and has ambitious goals. The People & Culture team will work together to achieve the following functional priorities:
- Align JFF’s people to business needs and intended impact
- Build JFF’s internal capacity on diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), to help actualize JFF’s external mission on DEI
- Develop multi-dimensional, differentiated approaches to foster staff engagement and retention
- Create a career-focused learning & development culture that builds staff skill and capacity
- Build a well-resourced, data-driven, talent function that supports the business
It’s an exciting time to join JFF’s People & Culture team and the Director role is a great opportunity for a strategic human resources leader. The ideal candidate is passionate about diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and its application to human resources, and desires to do challenging and fulfilling work to impact JFF’s mission of economic advancement for all.
What you'll do:
Human Resources Administration
- Manage JFF’s current benefits vendor, Human Resources Knowledge (HRK), to ensure effective execution of JFF’s HR administration
- Lead JFF’s COVID-19 administration, ensuring legal compliance across all regional office locations
- In partnership with the VP, People & Culture, revamp and develop HR procedures and policies that help to govern employee relations matters, employment classifications, employee leaves (e.g., medical, parental, etc.) and separations management
- Act as a trusted advisor to leaders across JFF on all areas related to HR administration to enhance their management capability and effectiveness
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and best practices and employment legislation, and ensure JFF’s compliance with federal and state law and regulation
- Ensure JFF staff members know how to access information, and provide training and support to employees regarding how to successfully and smoothly access their benefits (e.g., preparing for leaves, including providing written documentation, etc.)
- Develop processes and systems to provide a seamless experience for employees throughout their tenure at JFF, recognizing that they turn to People & Culture for support in challenging moments in their personal and professional lives
- Support the redesign and evolution of the HR function as JFF continues to grow and scale
Benefits, Total Rewards and Wellness Administration
- Determine medium- and long-term needs with regards to JFF’s benefits and total rewards strategy that is market forward and enables JFF to attract and retain top talent
- In partnership with the VP, People & Culture, and organizational services business partners, identify and implement a new HRIS that up levels JFF’s data capabilities and meets our personnel data, compensation and performance management needs
- Ensure that future iterations of benefits and total rewards are equitable and inclusive of the diverse identities of JFF’s staff members
- Design and implement a wellness program that enhances JFF’s culture and conveys the organization’s commitment to employee engagement and wellness
- Administer JFF’s compensation management system; partner with the VP, People & Culture to execute a compensation philosophy and approach and oversee ongoing compensation benchmarking including internal and external market data
- Partner with the Director, Talent Acquisition to construct offers of employment, ensuring they align with JFF’s compensation philosophy and commitment to equity
- Provide guidance to managers across JFF with regards to the compensation of employees and pay equity
- Support the administration and documentation of JFF’s performance review cycle and performance improvement plans
- Partner with the VP, People & Culture to ensure that managers and employees have the training and support needed to conduct equitable and inclusive performance reviews
- Support efforts to ensure that JFF’s work environment is free from harassment and discrimination and in compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws and regulations
- Serve as the first point of contact for employee or manager concerns and initiate JFF’s resolution process, including conducting investigations and suggesting courses for action and resolution
- Engage JFF’s outside employment counsel as needed to ensure adherence to laws and best practices on employee relations matters
- Ensure investigations are conducted and disputes are resolved in alignment with JFF’s commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
People & Culture Function Leadership and Management
- Serve as the internal lead on key People & Culture projects as a part of JFF’s organization-wide, multi-year change management initiative, RISE (Redesign, Innovate, Scale, Excel)
- Serve as a member of People & Culture’s Leadership Team, contributing to the leadership and management of the overall function, helping to set and lead executive priorities and steward the team’s culture
Who you are:
- You possess passion for JFF’s mission and can apply the core values to all areas of your work.
- You have at least 10 years of professional experience in human resources administration, ideally within high-growth, scaling organizations in a lead capacity.
- You have experience successfully applying principles of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness and a people-centered approach to HR administration work.
- You have previous staff management experience and a leadership approach that centers learning and coaching.
- You are highly analytical and able to synthesize and analyze both qualitative and quantitative data to drive critical business decisions.
- You possess the strong ability to create and articulate a vision and execute upon that vision to drive forward a project or an agenda.
- You are adept at communicating, verbally and in writing, with the ability to influence and engage a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at varying levels of seniority within and outside of JFF, leveraging a consultative approach in doing so.
- You can work effectively with diverse staff and steward an organizational culture that is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- You are a skilled relationship builder. You understand that people are at the core of JFF's work, you place a premium on service-orientation and contribute to positive and collaborative cultures and teams.
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives and data to inform your work, and you are oriented toward continuous improvement.
- You are entrepreneurial and have an ability to thrive in a fast-paced and high-growth environment with an ability to respond to shifting priorities and operate with varying degrees of ambiguity.
- You are highly organized and know how to manage multiple projects and prioritize appropriately. You create clear and logical systems and processes to support your work and that of the organization to drive results.
- You hold exceptionally high standards for confidentiality.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
As part of your application, please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Jennifer Anderson outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
Positions at JFF are not eligible for employer-visa sponsorship or open to F-1 student visa holders.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.