Managing Director, Postsecondary Market Solutions
Position Location: Flexible (DC, Boston, Oakland, Remote)
About JFF and JFFLabs:
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For 36 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. JFFLabs, the innovation engine of JFF, mobilizes promising technologies and strategic partnerships to scale solutions that expand economic advancement for all. We bridge the gap between companies and startups, traditional education and workforce systems, and investment.
About the position:
The Managing Director (MD), Postsecondary Market Solutions is a new, entrepreneurial role that will drive the growth and innovation of JFF’s market-focused postsecondary strategy to redesign education and workforce systems to better serve the needs of workers and learners. It will leverage non-traditional education and training providers to design, scale, and influence innovative market solutions that reimagine the role of postsecondary education as a major driver of economic advancement for all.
The MD will develop and lead a new revenue-generating line of business focused on creating a learner-consumer-centered postsecondary and lifelong learning ecosystem and marketplace. They will drive thought leadership on postsecondary and lifelong learning innovation and build an advisory services practice, which may include new solutions, research, proprietary content, and networks of innovative leaders.
Reporting to the Executive Director of JFFLabs, this MD will work with existing JFF leaders and build a team to cast and enact an ambitious vision and strategy, all while supporting and helping to manage thoughtful and strategic growth. The role will involve a combination of strategy development, project development and execution, performance measurement, team development, growth planning and strategic operations, and partner development.
Our team environment is creative, impact-oriented, generative, fast-moving, diverse, inclusive, entrepreneurial, and highly collaborative. We are builders and innovators, driving progress in a unique environment that is part start-up/part traditional nonprofit that continues to evolve with the needs of the economy and the people we serve. We want to be recognized for our creativity, innovation, impact, and culture and be a place where high performing talent wants to work, grow, and create something amazing.
What you’ll do:
Launch and grow a postsecondary advisory practice:
- Build the vision for this new practice in collaboration with JFF’s Corporate Solutions Team and Learning Unit, including business development strategy, service offerings, and talent pipeline.
- Develop revenue targets and build an operating model for growth.
- Oversee pipeline development, build compelling proposals, and close deals.
- Identify opportunities for new business that is aligned with JFF’s mission and strategies.
- Meet with senior leaders across sectors to advance grant and contract projects influencing and navigating complex relationships and environments.
- Develop and grow JFF’s postsecondary market, partnerships, and new models for learning and working.
- Manage client/partner relationships: work directly with non-traditional organizations and leaders in the postsecondary education market to assess needs, design solutions, and execute through a variety of engagements to help partners in the field meet their goals.
Build thought leadership and JFF IP around innovation in the postsecondary market:
- Develop frameworks, points of view, and theories of change that reflect where the future of work and learning is heading.
- Establish JFF’s role and presence as an innovative leader in this evolving ecosystem.
- Provide subject matter expertise to position JFF as the go-to resource for the design and implementation of market-based, innovative education and training models.
- Speak on behalf of JFF at high-profile events and convenings.
Drive strategy through execution:
- Lead high-profile client engagements and projects with fidelity and quality execution.
- Be comfortable assuming a leadership role and representing JFF with senior level external partners.
- Manage internal- and external-facing projects, including developing and facilitating a range of meetings, workshops, large scale convenings, and collaborative/consultative sessions with prospects, clients, and other external stakeholders.
- Oversee the project development process from start to finish including developing scopes of work, collaborating with JFF’s Organizational Services, and building and managing project budgets
- Build JFF’s approach to support a wide variety of postsecondary leaders to drive transformation and data-driven decision-making for broad adoption and scaling of postsecondary innovations.
Develop teams and collaborate across units
- Build and manage a team toward sets of outcomes or deliverables, managing internal and external stakeholder expectations along the way.
- Supervise others – directly and/or indirectly - and provide professional development and coaching as necessary to reach team and individual goals
- Collaborate with various units across JFF to bring the full force of JFF to this new line of business for JFF
Who you are:
Experienced and Entrepreneurial Postsecondary Leader and Practitioner
- You are a proven postsecondary education leader with direct experience in a variety of organizations, such as traditional educational settings, for-profit institutions, non-traditional education and training providers, technology solutions and new models
- You are familiar with adjacent settings and practices such as federal and state higher education policy, K12 education, continuing education, work-based learning, and related levers (e.g., policy, financing, technology, data).
- You understand funders in this market and navigate capital flows across state systems, venture capital/private equity, non-traditional providers, philanthropy, etc.
- You are familiar with college and workforce development data systems and analysis, and have applied those data sets to postsecondary market decision-making
- You are familiar with innovative models in higher education, including those outside traditional settings and have direct experience and/or nuanced knowledge of the issues of economic mobility and economic development
- You have experience leading initiatives and navigating partnerships at the highest levels in higher education settings
Strategic Builder and Analytical Problem Solver
- You are a dynamic, agile leader who is well-versed in managing change and taking advantage of complex and ambiguous growth opportunities.
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives and data to inform your work.
- You apply creativity and innovation in designing solutions to complex problems in complex environments.
- You are excellent at making connections between partners and networks in ways that scale learning and impact while identifying additional partnership development opportunities.
- You are excited to build new ideas and explore viability of those ideas across JFF and with partners and funders in the field.
Strategic Communicator & Relationship Manager
- You are an effective communicator who can clearly frame and share information to a variety of audiences in a clear and compelling way that achieves the outcomes required.
- You are a dynamic facilitator who can build and deliver persuasive presentations for senior executives, academic leaders, and practitioners.
- You are an effective relationship manager who can manage multi-faceted initiatives with high-level stakeholders - from clients to partners to JFF leadership.
- You model inclusive leadership, working effectively with diverse staff, and building and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- You build positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work.
- You possess high energy and passion for JFF’s mission; you believe in JFF's core values and can apply those values to all areas of your work
- You bring a commitment to social, economic, and racial justice and have experience integrating that into your work
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
As part of your application, please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Kristina Francis, Executive Director, JFFLabs, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.