Position Location: Remote (West Coast preferred)
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For over 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works.
About the position:
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of JFF’s Learning Unit, the Director, Postsecondary Strategy and Innovation will play a pivotal role in advancing JFF’s strategy to redesign education and workforce systems to better serve the needs of all workers and learners. The Director will lead JFF’s postsecondary growth strategy to design, scale, and influence innovative solutions that reimagine the role of postsecondary education as a major driver of economic development. This is a newly created position and is part of a fast-growing team leading an exciting, developing strategy for JFF.
The Director will leverage their extensive networks and partnership development skills to identify new opportunities to expand JFF’s impact. They will lead JFF’s postsecondary strategy in two related efforts: 1) develop and lead consulting engagements in California while providing strategic leadership and subject matter expertise to a growing national portfolio of postsecondary partnerships and 2) lead efforts to codify best practices and learnings to build a broader, more innovative portfolio of JFF’s postsecondary models, offerings, and partnerships.
What you'll do:
Leadership Development and Change Management
- Develop and grow JFF’s postsecondary strategy, including both traditional and new models of learning and working, through internal and external stakeholder engagement
- Develop JFF’s approach to support a wide variety of postsecondary leaders to drive transformation and data-driven decision-making for broad adoption and scaling of postsecondary innovations.
- Provide subject matter expertise to position JFF as the go-to resource for the design and implementation of innovative education and training models.
- Design initiatives that are aligned with JFF’s postsecondary priorities (guided pathways, competency-based education, credit-for-prior learning, online and hybrid teaching and learning) and are centered on equity and economic mobility.
- Work directly with leaders in the CA postsecondary education community to assess needs, design solutions, and execute through a variety of engagements to help partners in the field meet their goals.
Partnership & Business Development
- With support from the Senior Director and Associate Vice President, build and execute a business development strategy for postsecondary initiatives.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with executive-level higher education leaders in California and nationally.
- Oversee pipeline development, build compelling proposals, and close deals. Identify opportunities for new business that is aligned with JFF’s mission and strategies.
- Meet with senior leaders across sectors to advance grant and contract projects influencing and navigating complex relationships and environments.
Team Management and Operations
- Oversee the project development process from start to finish including developing scopes of work, collaborating with Organizational Services on the contract process, and building and managing project budgets.
- Supervise others – directly and/or indirectly - and provide professional development and coaching as necessary to reach team and individual goals.
Who you are:
Experienced Higher Education Leader and Practitioner
- You are a higher education or policy expert with direct experience in a postsecondary setting.
- You are familiar with state higher education policy landscape and the systems levers (e.g. policy, financing, politics, etc.) affecting community colleges and student outcomes.
- You are familiar with college and workforce development data systems and analysis, and have applied those data sets to postsecondary decision-making
- You are familiar with innovative models in higher education, including those outside traditional settings and have direct experience and/or nuanced knowledge of the issues of economic mobility and economic development.
- You have experience leading initiatives and navigating partnerships at the highest levels in higher education settings.
- You have excellent communication skills – both written and verbal – and are skilled at building trusting relationships quickly with stakeholders, even in highly politicized situations.
- You are recognized as a dynamic facilitator and have the ability to persuasively and efficiently build and deliver presentations for senior executives and faculty.
Strategic Builder and Analytical Thinker
- You are a systems builder, with experience pushing boundaries in fast-paced, ambiguous environments
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives and data to inform your work
- You apply creativity and innovation in designing solutions to complex problems in complex environments
- You are excellent at making connections between partners and networks in ways that scale learning and impact while identifying additional partnership development opportunities
- You are excited to build new ideas and explore viability of those ideas across JFF and with partners and funders in the field
- You model inclusive leadership, working effectively with diverse staff, and building and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion
- You build positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work
- You possess high energy and passion for JFF’s mission; you believe in JFF's core values and have the ability to apply those values to all areas of your work
- You bring a commitment to social, economic and racial justice and have experience integrating that into your work
- You demonstrate a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve in your work and approach
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
As part of your application, please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Stacey Clawson, Associate Vice President, Learning Unit, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.