JFF (Jobs for the Future)
JFF is a leading national nonprofit focused on building a society in which everyone has the access, skills, resources, and credentials they need to achieve economic advancement. To reach that goal, JFF is accelerating the alignment, transformation and reimagination of the American workforce and education systems. The ultimate vision for JFF is a society in which economic advancement is attainable for all.
In pursuit of this vision, JFF is ambitious in the problems it seeks to solve:
- Preparing People for the Future of Work: Automation, outsourcing, and new contract arrangements require everyone to begin thinking and acting differently
- Ensuring Equity in Economic Advancement: Despite overall growth, economic opportunity through education and dignified work is limited for millions of Americans
- Influencing Employer Practice: For Americans to thrive, businesses will need to change practices to ensure that skilled and qualified workers can also advance
To address these challenges, JFF designs, scales, influences, and invests in models, actions and policies that accelerate the modernization of traditional systems offerings. JFF also works outside of these systems on alternative demand-driven education, learning and workforce solutions. JFF impacts people at scale through key relationships and national networks they lead.
- Design: We bring evidence-based models and innovative solutions to life.
- Scale: We leverage national networks and advanced technologies to drive change in systems.
- Influence: We shape policy and drive the national conversation among workforce, education, government, and corporate leaders.
- Invest: We invest capital to incubate new solutions, accelerate innovation, and generate impact.
- Help People Advance (Impact on People): We partner with systems, organizations, and leaders to equip individuals with the knowledge, tools, and experiences they need to achieve economic advancement. We emphasize equity and pay particular attention to people and communities that have historically been denied opportunity.
- Build Inclusive Regional Economies (Impact on Places): We coordinate across sectors to increase opportunity for economic advancement in communities, regions, and states and produce sustainable economic growth for all. We support leaders’ efforts to improve and connect economic and educational strategies, with a focus on equity and inclusion.
- Redesign Education and Workforce Development Systems (Impact on Systems): We transform existing models and systems and design new ones to dismantle inequities and better serve the needs of all workers, learners, and businesses. We accelerate innovation to reimagine education and the future of work.
With more than 35 years of rich history, JFF now operates at the national, state, and local levels to bridge education, workforce and policy within regions of all sizes. The organization employs a nationwide staff of more than 150 across three offices in the U.S.: Boston (headquarters); Washington, DC; and Oakland. The organization generated ~$50 million in revenues this year and aims to grow to $100 million in revenues in five years. JFF is in the process of transforming into a leading player in the social impact space as it continues to grow and centralize its operations.
JFF collaborates with national leaders in education, workforce development, business, technology, government, and philanthropy. JFF has developed powerful partnerships and networks to scale its impact including Google, Walmart, Salesforce.org, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, The California Endowment, The James Irvine Foundation, Hewlett Foundation, Bloomberg Philanthropies, Autodesk Foundation, and the U.S. Departments of Labor and Education.
JFF’s Unique Assets
- Strong working relationships with the nation’s leading funders
- Strong regranting capabilities
- National reach with active work in 42 states
- A trusted brand and reputation among decision makers
- Deep R&D experience pioneering a “distribution” network thanks to our work with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and their investment in our postsecondary network.
- Extensive place-based experience working with many touch points in a region including our Pathways to Prosperity work and the prototype of our “OneJFF” California presence
- Uniquely situated at the intersection of blurring lines (education and workforce)
- Hyper-connected and influential with key systems leaders across systems and the country
- Deep expertise in reaching and advancing the Untapped Workforce
JFF's Guiding Principles
- Mission Driven: The organization is fueled by the desire to create a world where everyone has equal opportunity for economic advancement.
- Passionate: The organization believes its efforts have the power to strengthen the nation’s economy and improve people’s lives.
- Rigorous: The organization works diligently to design, test, and scale evidence-based solutions
- Bold: The organization leads with innovative ideas and actions that push the boundaries of what is possible.
- Transformative: The organization brings about meaningful and lasting system-level change.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND POSITION SUMMARY
Reporting to the CEO of JFF, the Chief Strategy and Growth Officer will be a key leader with a significant voice in the future and continued success of JFF. JFF is at an inflection point and is poised to continue and deepen its market leadership, with creative thinking and bold action that transcends the traditional education and workforce space and bridges to the fields of technology, innovation, and investment. In an evolving and dynamic market, with unprecedented attention on the issues of inclusive talent development and the future of work, we seek a mission-driven leader with a clear vision to position JFF to continue to expand its impact and grow revenues and market share while driving economic advancement for all.
The Chief Strategy and Growth Officer will serve on JFF’s Executive Team, which establishes strategic priorities, creates the conditions to successfully achieve goals, strategies, and mission, and cultivates a healthy organizational culture.
The ideal candidate will bring experience scaling an enterprise in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment, have familiarity with the education and workforce ecosystem, possess networks in and demonstrate knowledge of the leading edge of the market, and demonstrate agility and comfort across a wide variety of responsibilities. While the Chief Strategy and Growth Officer will bring a diversity of professional experiences in a range of organizational contexts, the ideal candidate will demonstrate a passion for JFF’s mission, and have experience working in or on behalf of mission-driven organizations.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Articulate and integrate organizational strategy across JFF and JFFLabs, serving as a key advisor to CEO and Board on strategic options and direction.
- Anticipate, sense, and monitor trends and events in the broader workforce, education, tech, and corporate space.
- Develop medium- and long-term scenario plans and points of view about the best future direction of the organization.
- Work in partnership with the CEO and with the Executive Team to integrate and operationalize strategy across programmatic focus areas in order to align internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify and implement improvements to organizational processes, systems, culture, and structure that enhance JFF’s performance, agility, and impact, in partnership with the Executive Team.
- Develop, lead, and monitor growth initiatives that enable expansion and increased impact.
- Maximize and measure the impact of programmatic work across JFF and JFFLabs in partnership with the Senior Vice President.
- Identify gaps in internal capacity capabilities and develop build/buy/partner options.
- Lead the identification, exploration, and execution of new business ventures for the organization, including issues related to structure, funding, and mission-alignment.
- Lead the development and maintenance of key external partnerships on behalf of and in partnership with the CEO.
- Represent JFF and JFFLabs with current and new funders for capacity and growth capital investments.
- Promote JFF and JFFLabs’ strategy, activities, and impact through writing, speaking, convening, and networking.
- Guide the organization’s strategic communications efforts, including messaging, positioning, tone, and approach, ensuring alignment with organizational strategy.
- Work closely with the CEO, Chief of Staff, and others on key internal and external communications.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are mission-driven and can thrive working in a growth-oriented and entrepreneurial environment.
- You bring strong strategic and analytical skills, drawing on a diverse background and ability to think at the systems level, including understanding how to drive systematic change in the education and workforce systems.
- You have 10-15 years of relevant leadership experience, including a track record of business development and experience and success in complex environments across multiple sectors and ecosystems, including developing new lines of work and business models.
- You have change management experience, including success in helping organizations navigate transformative change and growth.
- You possess proven executive leadership skills including external awareness, team building, change management, problem solving, financial management, and political savvy
- You have entrepreneurial skills and proven ability to stimulate innovation that leads to organizational, program, and financial growth.
- You have a proven ability to raise money for new projects, and experience with complex budget planning and implementation.
- You are an inclusive and collaborative leader, working effectively with diverse staff, and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion, and an ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work.
- You bring substantial experience managing direct reports and teams, providing mentorship, direct feedback, thought partnership, coaching and performance management to support their success, particularly during times of growth and change.
- You have superior communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate JFF’s mission and vision to diverse groups of corporate and philanthropic funders.
- You bring a demonstrated growth mindset with ability to create and maintain standards of high performance and accountability, and foster innovation, continuous learning, and improvement.
- You have a willingness to travel.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION AT JFF
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
As part of your online application, please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Maria Flynn, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. In addition to applying online, please also submit your application to Divina Gamble (Divina.Gamble@KornFerry.com), Cristina Fisher (Cristina.Fisher@KornFerry.com), and Traci Robinson (Traci.Robinson@KornFerry.com). Questions should also be sent to Divina, Cristina, and Traci.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.