At January, we work to ensure that borrowers who fall behind on debt are treated with fairness and respect. Owing to outdated processes and bad actors, traditional debt collection is rife with harassment and fraud. Our products tackle this by helping financial institutions modernize collections, giving borrowers simpler and more compassionate ways to get back on track.
About the role:
The Borrower Experience (BX) team at January is reshaping debt collection with a dual focus: boosting January's growth through efficient recoveries and helping borrowers regain financial stability with dignity. Some of the things we work on are:
- A multi-channel communications engine
- Software to offer borrowers tailored settlements and payment plans
- Our payments processing
- Predictive models
Our mission goes beyond collecting debts; we're committed to humanizing an industry that desperately needs it. Join us in transforming debt collection into a more effective and humane experience.
Senior Software Engineers at January aren’t just responsible for writing code. You'll also own product and team outcomes, advocate for borrowers, and help other engineers grow.
The main ways you’ll impact the business are:
- Team Leadership and Strategy. As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll play a pivotal role in shaping the engineering culture and strategy. You'll collaborate closely with product managers, designers, and other engineers to set technical direction, make high-impact decisions, and ensure that the team is aligned with the company's objectives. Your insights will influence your immediate team and contribute to the broader engineering vision at January.
- Technical Excellence. You'll champion quality in every aspect of the development process. From developing simple solutions and writing unit tests to participating in design discussions and PR reviews, you'll ensure that the software we build is robust, scalable, and meets the highest standards of quality. You'll be responsible for identifying and addressing technical debt, ensuring that the codebase remains clean and manageable.
- Developing Peers. When you work at January, you work with a team that grows together. Regardless of your current level, you’ll share your knowledge of systems, engineering practices, and the problem domain, helping ensure everyone’s success. You'll do this through code review, pair programming, documentation, and just plain being supportive.
As the company grows, you will be involved in scoping, architecting, and implementing new product lines. You’ll have the opportunity to build new lines of business from scratch.
You might be a fit if you value:
- Genuine collaboration. We recognize and explicitly reward feedback, alignment, and learning from each other.
- Managers as advocates. You’ll report to leaders invested in your growth and promotion, not just their own. Managers only succeed when their teams thrive.
- Outcomes over output. We value finding ways to do more with less and working smart instead of burning out.
- Product ownership. Engineers are owners, not mercenaries. Everyone plays a role in discovering, advocating for, and implementing product ideas.
- Technical quality. We work collaboratively with our product team to ensure great outcomes without sacrificing quality. Sustainable development is a first-class priority.
What you bring to the table:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a Software Engineer in backend development and platform architecture, with a proven track record of building highly scalable, performant, and reliable systems.
- Are proficient in at least one modern programming language (Java, Python, Go, etc.)
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Passionate about collaborating with teammates and cross-functional partners.
- We find that candidates who perform particularly well in this role have full-stack experience.
January believes in doing its part to help close the wage gap that continues to plague much of the US workforce. We offer transparent and equitable compensation packages to all existing and future January team members.
Our compensation range for the Senior Software Engineer role is $160,000 to $210,000. We determine the final package by considering experience, applicable education and training, and relevant skills derived throughout our interview process.This role also includes a competitive equity package, giving you a chance to feel true ownership of your work.
January prioritizes the safety and well-being of our team members and, as such, requires all employees who work from or visit a January office to have proof of COVID-19 vaccination or provide a valid medical or religious exemption.
What we can offer you:
- Pet-friendly office (only in NYC, for now!)
- Competitive equity packages, giving you a chance to feel true ownership of your work
- Unlimited PTO so you can take the time you need to rest and recharge
- Hybrid work model, where our team comes in 3x a week
- Flexible work hours for better work/life balance
- 12 weeks fully paid new parent leave program for all employees to enjoy bonding time
- Free lunches for team socializing activities
- Annual learning and development budget to invest in your professional growth
- 401k so you can invest in your future
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Free access to One Medical
- Free access to the mental well-being platform Spring Health plus 3 free virtual sessions with a Spring Health licensed therapist
- Commuter benefits for your travel to/from the office
- Endless growth opportunity and the ability to take on new and exciting challenges
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in New York (2023)
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in New York (2024)
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in San Francisco (2023)
- Built In's Best Startups to Work For in San Francisco (2024)
- Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC (2022)
- Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC (2023)