The International WELL Building Institute is looking for a dynamic and high integrity individual who is committed to making an impact to the health and well-being of people all over the world to join the Standard Development (SD) team. The SD team oversees the development of the WELL Building Standard (WELL), WELL Community Standard and related programs, global rating systems that consist of 10 concepts or areas of application, including the Mind concept. Over 21,000 projects encompassing 2 billion+ square feet are applying WELL across 97 countries at this very moment.
This position's key responsibility is to manage the WELL Mind concept and act as a thought leader whose overarching focus is on mental health and well-being in buildings and organizations. This individual will be a key driver in our ongoing mission to ensure mental health is prioritized and championed in every community.
The Concept Lead for Mind will have the opportunity to help define and refine best practices across the wide range of topics that make up the Mind concept, including: mental health benefits, services and programs; substance use; stress; sleep; mindfulness; resilience; and connection to nature. Managing the Mind concept involves collaborating with industry stakeholders, addressing challenges faced by projects across sectors and regions, and interpreting relevant health literature and industry best practices.
Mind Concept Lead Responsibilities:
- Evolve the Mind concept: draft amendments and additions; develop new interventions to add to the WELL system (i.e., WELL features)
- Contribute to guidance materials for end-users and responding to technical inquiries from diverse space types in different regions
- Conduct thorough literature reviews on strategies for improving mental health and well-being in the buildings and organizations; stay up-to-date on the latest relevant health literature and industry best practices
- Represent thought leadership on key topics in mental health and well-being (e.g., workplace mental health) in written communications (e.g., articles, social media) and external forums (e.g., conferences, webcasts); develop opportunities to innovate upon and expand IWBI’s work to champion mental health
- Strengthen WELL by collaborating with Marketing & Education teams to advise on collateral, brand and derivative products related to the Mind concept
- Convene, manage and lead the Mind Concept Advisory – a group of health experts and practitioners brought together to advise on the WELL Mind concept
- In addition to leading the Mind concept, this person will be responsible for leading various other projects relating to the upkeep and ongoing maintenance of the WELL Building Standard
Mind Concept Lead Candidate Profile & Prerequisites:
- Master’s degree or equivalent professional experience in a relevant field (e.g., Public Health, Psychology [e.g., Environmental, Organizational], Human Resources)
- Background in establishing and/or implementing strategies that seek to influence mental health and well-being
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with industry best practices and trends in mental health and well-being
- Demonstrated knowledge of or experience related to at least two of the following topics: environmental psychology; connection to nature (e.g., biophilic design); mental health benefits, services and programs; substance use; stress; sleep; mindfulness; resilience
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Analytic and curious: excellent analytic capabilities, organizational skills, and attention to detail; ability to work under pressure and an interest in ongoing learning
- A team-oriented self-starter: comfort with working independently and being a part of a dynamic, deadline driven team environment; great interpersonal skills with a high level of integrity
Location: New York, NY
Compensation: Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with prior experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included for full-time employees.
Benefits include complete health insurance, generous paid leave, parental leave, child care subsidies, yearly remote month and working in a dog-friendly WELL certified office with a wellness/lactation room and a never-ending supply of snacks.
IWBI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that inspires, respects and supports all individuals. Individuals are selected based solely upon their qualifications for this position and without regard to the applicant’s race, color, ethnic or national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital or partnership status, citizenship or alienage status, veteran status, whether children are, may be or would be residing with a person, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Candidates must have valid and current work authorization in the United States to be considered.
About IWBI and WELL
The International WELL Building Institute™ (IWBI™) is leading the global movement to transform our buildings and communities in ways that help people thrive.
IWBI delivers the cutting-edge WELL Building Standard™, the leading global rating system and the first to be focused exclusively on the ways that buildings, and everything in them, can improve our comfort, drive better choices, and generally enhance, not compromise, our health and wellness.
The WELL v2™ pilot is a recently launched version of its popular WELL Building Standard, and the WELL Community Standard™ pilot is a district scale rating system that sets a new global benchmark for healthy communities.
IWBI mobilizes the global wellness community through management of the WELL AP™ credential, convenes a global network of organizations through IWBI membership, pursues applicable research, develops educational resources, and advocates for policies that promote health and wellness everywhere.
IWBI is featured on Fast Company’s World’s Most Innovative Companies list for 2019.