The International WELL Building Institute™ (IWBI™) is looking for an individual with a strong interest in health and wellness in the built environment and a passion for collaborating and driving change through capacity building with global organizations. The position is based within the Commercial team at IWBI and will be responsible for providing technical support on the WELL Building Standard™ (WELL) for: project teams enrolled in WELL, WELL Performance Testing Agents and Organizations, as well as industry professionals engaged as part of IWBI’s global community.
WELL is the leading global rating system for human health and the first to be focused exclusively on the ways that buildings, and everything in them, can improve our comfort, drive better choices, and generally enhance, not compromise, our health and wellness. WELL Certification requires that buildings undergo on-site performance testing and meet health-based metrics in the areas of air, water and lighting quality, as well as acoustics and thermal comfort. IWBI created and administers a global network of WELL Performance Testing Organizations that conduct on-site testing.
The IWBI Commercial team is composed of individuals across the globe with diverse professional and educational backgrounds, who serve as experts in the implementation of WELL and its evidence-based health and wellbeing strategies. This team provides support to WELL projects, helping customers navigate the certification process, derive the greatest benefits possible from the program, develop solutions for challenges, and inspire best practices in the implementation of WELL. Commercial Team members also support industry education and business development efforts in key markets and sectors.
Environmental Health Technical Manager Responsibilities:
- Execute and encourage successful WELL project certifications and achievement of performance-based WELL strategies:
- Provide guidance and support to clients preparing for on-site performance testing, through webcasts, answering project team members’ questions, maintenance of relevant technical resources and e-mail messages.
- Track and work to improve metrics of success for on-site performance testing.
- Assist clients in prioritizing remediation strategies for any non-compliant on-site performance testing results, working as needed with other WELL technical experts.
- Support the development of resources that provide guidance for technical aspects of WELL:
- Develop tools that help project teams and Performance Testing Organizations understand and prepare for on-site performance testing and other technical topics.
- Draft resources that provide guidance on best practices to meet evidence-based air, water, light, acoustics and thermal comfort quality metrics.
- Write Articles and FAQs on technical aspects of health and well-being.
- Provide thought leadership and analysis that helps to advance the future of health-based performance testing:
- Support and advance measures to help clients and Performance Testing Organizations scale performance testing across portfolios of real estate.
- Generate proposals on how to evolve WELL’s performance-based strategies and processes to deliver greater impact, market viability and client support.
- Gather and synthesize client feedback and ideas.
- Develop methods to improve the performance testing delivery model.
- Support and improve internal staff competency on performance testing and technical topics related to health in the built environment:
- Develop and lead internal training sessions.
- Maintain and evolve internal resources, such as FAQs, talking points and guides.
Environmental Health Technical Manager Profile & Prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field (e.g., Mechanical Engineering, Building Sciences, Environmental Health)
- 3+ years of professional experience working in environmental testing or other relevant building sciences position
- Knowledge of building systems and building environmental testing in one or more areas: air, water, lighting quality; thermal and acoustical comfort
- Demonstrated experience with sustainable and/or healthy building design process and strategies
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented, strong sense of commitment, commitment to learning and a desire to work in a dynamic, deadline-driven team environment
- Excellent analytical abilities and problem-solving skills
- Experience in developing client-facing tools or resources
- Ability to reliably maintain a consistent schedule while working remotely
- A self-starter who is comfortable working independently and willing to be a team player by working collaboratively in groups
Environmental Health Technical Manager Preferred Qualifications:
- Demonstrated field experience in on-site testing of health-based parameters in buildings
- Experience with data analysis and a high level of expertise in Excel
- Experience with implementing building certification systems (WELL, BREEAM, Green Star, LEED, Living Building Challenge, NABERS Indoor Environment, RESET, etc.)
- WELL AP (required within 12 months of hiring)
- Will consider hires in Australia, Singapore, Europe, or North America.
- Must be willing periodically to work flexible hours in order to accommodate different global time zones.
Compensation: Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with prior experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included for full-time employees.
IWBI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that inspires, respects and supports all individuals. Individuals are selected based solely upon their qualifications for this position and without regard to the applicant’s race, color, ethnic or national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital or partnership status, citizenship or alienage status, veteran status, whether children are, may be or would be residing with a person, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About IWBI and WELL
The International WELL Building Institute™ (IWBI™) is leading the global movement to transform our buildings and communities in ways that help people thrive.
IWBI delivers the cutting-edge WELL Building Standard™, the leading global rating system and the first to be focused exclusively on the ways that buildings, and everything in them, can improve our comfort, drive better choices, and generally enhance, not compromise, our health and wellness.
The WELL v2™ pilot is a recently launched version of its popular WELL Building Standard, and the WELL Community Standard™ pilot is a district scale rating system that sets a new global benchmark for healthy communities.
IWBI mobilizes the global wellness community through management of the WELL AP™ credential, convenes a global network of organizations through IWBI membership, pursues applicable research, develops educational resources, and advocates for policies that promote health and wellness everywhere.
IWBI is featured on Fast Company’s World’s Most Innovative Companies list for 2019.