Computational Chemist - Drug Design, London
This is an extraordinary opportunity to join a new Alphabet company that will reimagine drug discovery through a computational- and AI-first approach.
We are assembling a world-class, multi-disciplinary team who want to drive forward groundbreaking innovations. As one of the first members of this pioneering organisation, you will play a meaningful role in building this team, embodying an inspiring, collaborative and entrepreneurial culture.
This early-stage venture is on a mission to accelerate the speed, increase the efficacy and lower the cost of drug discovery. You'll be working at the cutting edge of the new era of 'digital biology' and advancing a new type of biotech that will deliver transformative social impact for the benefit of millions of people.
As part of the ongoing expansion of our Drug Design and Medical Research function, we are looking to recruit a number of senior Medicinal Chemistry positions in our Drug Design team.
These roles will initially report directly to the CSO, supporting the business alongside world leading AI/ML Drug Design Platform teams. You will collaborate to deliver scientific expertise and strategic direction to drive both improvements in the Platform and apply this to real drug design problems.
As a member of the Drug Design team you will be responsible for cross-functional strategic alignment and effective resource allocation in support of the delivery of integrated drug discovery projects leveraging significant external CRO resources.
If you are a skilled and ambitious scientist looking to take the next step in your career, becoming a member of this entirely new team at the beginning of the company’s journey will lift you out of your comfort zone and provide you with an amazing opportunity for personal growth and development.
What you will do
- Apply your knowledge and track record of modern drug design principles to provide strategic input and technical direction to our Platform teams and to execute Drug Design programs
- Collaborate both internally and with third party organisations interacting within multidisciplinary teams to support data-driven delivery of high quality scientific solutions to complex technical problems
- Represent the company externally, interacting with existing and prospective collaborators and Contract Research Organisations (CROs)
- Manage other members of the growing team, mentoring and supporting their development
- Prepare detailed scientific proposals and reports to support new and ongoing programs
- Embrace and champion our culture of inclusion and continuous professional development
Skills and qualifications
- PhD in Chemistry, Computational Chemistry or a related technical field, or equivalent experience
- Strong foundation in computational chemistry (CADD) with previous experience operating as a senior individual contributor within a pharma/biotech setting
- Significant experience of contributing to Structure-Based Drug Design problems, with a proven track record of success
- Experience of leading or co-leading drug discovery program teams
- Experience and expertise working on Lead Optimisation programs, with familiarity of optimisation of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics (DMPK)
Nice to have
- Direct experience of Pharma and/or Biotech drug discovery collaborations, ideally in a leadership role
- Track record of authorship of relevant scientific manuscripts
Behaviours and attributes
- Grounded and original thinker: you combine the best from industry with new ideas and creative approaches, taking well-informed risks to advance progress
- Motivated by purpose: you are self-directed and choose the most effective path to maximise impact, operating at pace with a clear bias for action
- Experimental approach: you are comfortable with ambiguity, you respond quickly and adapt to maximise opportunities
- Team-oriented and collaborative: you are willing to go beyond role remit, building strong partnerships with a variety of collaborators
- Curious mindset: you have a strong interest in self-development and learn from set-backs as well as successes
- Strategic and pragmatic: you combine outstanding strategic thinking with a practical delivery-focused approach
- Inspiring leader: you know how to build and lead teams
Isomorphic Labs welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of age; disability; gender reassignment; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
It would be helpful if you could answer the following questions. Your application won't be effected by the answers you provide, the information is helping us to understand the profile of individuals interested in joining IsoLabs.