IRL is the leading group messaging social network that brings people together through events and shared experiences. With its wide range of in-app offerings, including personalized event suggestions using artificial intelligence, calendar integrations, messenger and private group pages, IRL deepens everyone's ability to connect through organic community-building and engaging social interaction.
Based on humans' natural group orientation and essential need to communicate, especially in the post-COVID era, IRL is building the future of interaction by translating these inherent needs onto one platform and encouraging users to do more together.
IRL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
- IRL pays 99% of the monthly premium for platinum and gold PPO medical insurance, plus vision and dental coverage, for employees and their spouses, partners & children.
- All employees receive 25 days of Personal Time Off every calendar year plus 5 Floating Holidays.
- Sick leave honor system: Employees can take up to 2 consecutive days per illness without having to take PTO.
- Remote Work Set Up Stipend for new employees of up to $7,500 for engineers and $5,000 for non-engineers.
- All-Purpose Stipend of $4,800 per year for ongoing remote work expenses plus an incredible range of products and services.
- Celebrations Stipend: Employees may receive up to $1,200 per year for personal and family events planned through the IRL app.
- Student Loan Repayment: IRL will contribute up to $437.50 per month, with a maximum lifetime benefit of $31,500, for the repayment of employee student loans.
- Professional Development: IRL will contribute up to $3,000 annually, with a maximum lifetime benefit of $12,000, for expenses associated with employee professional development.
- 401(k) Retirement Plan (coming Fall 2021) with 100% match on up to 6% of employee salary.
IRL is actively seeking a Senior Accounting Manager to join our Finance team. As an Accounting leader, you will lead all Accounting operations, perform those operations as needed, and be a key partner to the CFO, FP&A team, external bookkeepers, HR, Legal, and management team on accounting implications of all key initiatives.
The best candidates will be ready to build world-class capabilities to support new products and markets for this highly scalable platform. You also have a desire to grow within the Accounting team and help build it to fit with business needs. Exceptional candidates will have experience in scaling accounting organizations in a high-growth startup and also have the willingness and ability to perform at the highest level as an individual contributor.
What you’ll do...
- Lead the Accounting function, including daily accounting operations, tax, financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue recognition, treasury, general ledger, and equity administration
- Plan, control, and direct corporate accounting activities ensuring compliance with GAAP and statutory guidelines
- Develop and drive strong financial policies, internal controls, procedures, and systems to scale Accounting with business growth, including the discovery and implementation of key ERP, billing, other systems and operational improvements.
- Manage and ensure timely and accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial-statement close and reporting in accordance with GAAP
- Work with CFO and FP&A to prepare internal and external financial reporting for management team reviews, board meetings, and investor presentations
- Work with CFO to choose audit and tax advisors and manage all periodic audit and tax filing processes.
- Act as point person for preparation of documents for periodic audits or due diligence reviews.
- Own local, state, and federal government tax and business filings/reporting as well as all associated registrations and other compliance.
- Own stock-based compensation and equity accounting process
- Work with CFO and Legal team to implement corporate risk management and insurance strategies.
- Review and run payroll; work with HR to set up remote employees correctly for payroll taxes; knowledge of Gusto payroll a plus.
- Manage travel, entertainment, and other reimbursement policies and processes, including company stipends; knowledge of Compt a plus.
- Manage procurement and accounts payable processes and systems; knowledge of Airbase, Teampay, or Bill.com a plus.
- Help manage banking relationships and assist with cash management strategies
- Recruit, develop, and retain a strong Accounting team capable of effectively scaling with business growth
- Provide support for other ad hoc analyses and projects as needed.
- Partner with the management team on other strategic business initiatives including the evaluation of accounting implications for these decisions
What we’re looking for...
- High EQ, high personal integrity, and strong work ethic
- Excitement about learning and growing as an accounting leader
- Hunger and ambition to build and scale IRL
- Willingness and ability to be a high-velocity, high quality maker as well as a leader.
- 5 years or more experience at a supervisory level in public accounting and/or startup environments; at least 3 years outside of public accounting
- Comprehensive understanding of GAAP and technical accounting
- Experience in high-velocity startups; a strong understanding of multiple business models and their accounting and metrics
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with proven ability to successfully interact across organizations while strongly representing the "accounting perspective"
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; strong experience with Excel and related tools
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting, and variance analysis is a major plus.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, changing environment where priorities can change
- Strong self-starter who is a team player and can work independently
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, with strong presentation skills
- Experience building accounting processes and procedures
- Experience with implementing and using multiple ERP, billing, payable, and CRM systems preferred
- Experience in supporting audits, due diligence processes
- CPA or equivalent strongly preferred or the pursuit of such certification
Upcoming Objectives of This Role
Success after 3 months would include objectives like:
- Increased speed and accuracy of financial close
- Building internal accounting function, including team and responsibility plan for 3-6-12 months.
- Created transparency and accountability in spending via systems, processes, and policies.
- Created and managed strong and trustful internal & external relationships with key stakeholders
Success after 6 months would include objectives like:
- Finalized audit-ready 2021 financial statements
- Created and directed multi-jurisdiction treasury and cash management plan
- Building Accounting team for audit, controls, and company scale, as needed
- Helped manage collaborative 2022 financial forecast process
- Generated transparency for team leadership, executive management, and board of directors through regular reporting
Success after 12 months would include objectives like:
- Evaluated and implemented enterprise-level financial and data systems, as appropriate
- Building Accounting team for audit, controls, and company scale, as needed
- Directed successful audit and tax processes
- Collaborated across the company to establish and optimize company processes, increase actual vs. forecast accuracy, and support other operational improvements from the accounting perspective.