Turning Space into a Transportation Layer for Earth
Who We Are:
Inversion was founded in 2021 with the mission to build the first affordable, high cadence return capability for the commercial and defense space industries. With launching to space becoming cheap and frequent, comparable options for return must become available to allow for a robust economy in space. We believe in a future where returning from space is as common as launching to space. Inversion is building reentry vehicles faster and cheaper than ever before through a focus on simplicity.
This next-generation class of space vehicle will finally be able to provide high-frequency return of research, goods, supplies, and equipment that is critical for all future commercial activities and supply chains in space. With launch costs at an all-time low and dropping, now is the time to build these round-trip capabilities. Inversion has ambitious goals with strong financial backing to make this a reality.
What You’ll Do:
As an Inversion Embedded Software Engineer, you will have an instrumental impact on the functionality and performance of our next-generation reentry vehicles. You will own a substantial aspect of the flight software stack that enables our spacecraft to complete its mission of operating in space and eventually returning to be recovered. Your impact will be on embedded, telemetry, and control software running on custom hardware that flies the world’s first reentry vehicle designed for turning space into a transportation layer for Earth.
Our software engineers are responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software they create, including development, testing, and support.
- Create software for integration with an embedded Real Time Operating System (RTOS)
- Design hardware drivers for connecting with Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs), Star Trackers, Reaction Wheels, and other satellite instruments and mechanisms
- Work in tandem with Hardware in the Loop (HITL) setups to confirm and ensure both software and hardware performance
- Dive in and engage directly with onboard avionics systems
- Provide support for flight software, ground control operations, and mission handling
In addition to contributing to the flight software for our upcoming mission, you will also play an instrumental role in helping architect the software and system for our future vehicle, Arc.
What It Takes:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field
- 2+ years of experience building, debugging, and supporting embedded software for spacecraft, robotics, or other hardware embedded systems (professional or hobby)
- Experience with real-time software development with FreeRTOS or other embedded real-time systems (preferably running on STM32 microcontrollers)
- Experience developing hardware drivers using serial protocols such as SPI, I2C, UART, CAN, RS485
- Professional and hands-on experience with sensors, actuators, and microcontrollers in spacecraft or robotics systems
- Comfortable using git for version control and code review
What We’d Love:
- Experience working on flying and operating satellite and spacecraft systems
- Experience collaborating with GNC engineers and integrating algorithms into software
- Experience working with closed loop HITL (Hardware in The Loop) test setups
- Experience supporting flight software or ground software engineers on the design and deployment of spacecraft software
- Prior experience working in startups and small independent teams
- Position may require extended work hours and weekend work.
Where You’ll Be:
- Our office headquarters is located in Torrance, CA. All jobs require you to work onsite unless otherwise stated in the job description.
The California annual base salary for this role is currently $120,000 - $200,000. Pay Grades are determined by role, level, location, and alignment with market data. Individual pay will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: interviews and an assessment of several factors that are unique to each candidate, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and internal equity.