Turning Space into a Transportation Layer for Earth
Who We Are:
Inversion was founded in 2021 with the mission to build the first affordable, high cadence return capability for the commercial and defense space industries. With launching to space becoming cheap and frequent, comparable options for return must become available to allow for a robust economy in space. We believe in a future where returning from space is as common as launching to space. Inversion is building reentry vehicles faster and cheaper than ever before through a focus on simplicity.
This next-generation class of space vehicle will finally be able to provide high-frequency return of research, goods, supplies, and equipment that is critical for all future commercial activities and supply chains in space. With launch costs at an all-time low and dropping, now is the time to build these round-trip capabilities. Inversion has ambitious goals with strong financial backing to make this a reality.
What You’ll Do:
Inversion is looking for an experience leader who can drive cross-discipline product development, full owning hardware product roadmaps. The hardware team designs, builds & tests all flight hardware for Inversion's return space capsules. As Head of Hardware, you will be responsible for planning and leading the design, architecture, manufacturing, testing & integration of all components of the spacecraft. The right candidate will have the curiosity to explore new technologies and drive a culture of innovation along with a capability to deliver. Inversion is primed for incredible growth and we need someone to lead a hardware strategy to drive and support that.
Lead, grow and inspire all of hardware engineering, tasked with building spaceflight hardware.
Create and execute the hardware development roadmap, aligning hardware milestones and development with company-wide plans, goals and strategies.
Create and lead initial design and analyses of all space capsule hardware from component design through integration and testing.
Manage multiple complex hardware programs from concept through design to production readiness.
Act as technical mentor and day-to-day supervisor for engineering.
What It Takes:
- Bachelors' degree from an accredited university in a relevant field.
- 8+ years’ experience with the full design, build, test cycle for space flight hardware.
- 4+ years' of leading an engineering team.
What We’d Love:
- Masters' degree from an accredited university in a relevant field.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and launch complex hardware products.
- Ability to manage a team of subject matter experts and set technical direction.
- Proven success in designing or testing game-changing products in the aerospace industry
- Position may require extended work hours and weekend work.
- Position may require standing, bending, and working directly with hardware on the floor for extended periods of time.
Where You’ll Be:
- Our office headquarters is located in Torrance, CA. All jobs require you to work onsite unless otherwise stated in the job description.
- If working remote is an option, other major metropolitan locations in the U.S. with relevance to the space industry may be possible.
- Travel may be required (up to 30%) for this role.
The California annual base salary for this role is currently $160,000 - $220,000. Pay Grades are determined by role, level, location, and alignment with market data. Individual pay will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: interviews and an assessment of several factors that are unique to each candidate, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and internal equity.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Inversion provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran status, or disability.