Inventables is a 3D carving company working to ignite a new product revolution by bringing manufacturing capability into the hands of millions of people. We’re doing this by building accessible tools for makers—including X-Carve, our affordable carving machine, and Easel, our easy-to-use design software. Together, Easel and X-Carve help makers of all experience levels create products out of a variety of materials, ranging from beautiful hardwoods to colorful acrylics.
While our downtown Chicago office and workshop is a space where employees can meet, work, and use our products, we are a remote-first company and welcome talent located across the country.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our team is growing & we’re looking for Software Engineers interested in working on one of the most creative and exciting products on the market! As a Software Engineer at Inventables, you’ll help develop Easel, our web-based software that makes it easy to design and carve three-dimensional objects. You’ll encounter—and help solve—a variety of interesting technical and conceptual challenges. You will:
- Build features that make it easier to create, share, and remix designs
- Make improvements that help people use our tools confidently and successfully
- Extend Easel to support new 3D carving machines with new capabilities
- Evolve our infrastructure to automate tasks and improve our ability to monitor and troubleshoot our software
- Collaborate with our Design, Product, Marketing, and Customer Success teams to identify the best ways our software can help scale our business
- Help the team iterate our development practices and continuously improve our execution
You’ll have a real impact—the code you write will be used by thousands of people every day, including small business owners, crafters, hobbyists, and students.
Check out Easel and see what our customers are making at www.inventables.com
How we work
We believe in making time for exploration and innovation. We set aside every Friday for each engineer to experiment with new technologies or work on problems they think are important. And we provide every employee with a carving machine and their own creative project budget.
- Curious, creative, and collaborative
- 2+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience building a production web application
- Experience with React and Redux or similar libraries
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with test-driven development
- Familiarity with AWS or similar cloud hosting services
- Familiarity with the Linux command line
- Experience working in software-as-a-service businesses, or experience with woodworking or crafting or with 2D or 3D design software
- Experience with Data Visualization tools (D3.js, Webgl, Three.js, etc.)
BENEFITS & PERKS
- BCBS Health & Dental Insurance
- Flexible Accrued Vacation (“Take what you need” vacation policy)
- 401(k) program with 4% company match
- Options Program
- Annual “exploration budget” to feed your curiosity (Use this budget on any hobby or interest you’d like to explore like guitar lessons, cooking classes, yoga, etc)
- Annual “creative project budget” to help you stay creative (Use this budget to help you stay creative)
- Excellent Paid Parental Leave Program
- Weekly R&D Fridays — spend dedicated time each week learning, experimenting, and working on projects of your choosing
- Annual professional development budget of 3K for conferences, books, courses, or trainings (You pick)
We value the things that make us different and believe a diverse company drives innovation. Inventables provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants, and prohibits discrimination of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.