Invaio Sciences, a Flagship Pioneering company, is a multi-platform technology company that unlocks the potential of the planet’s interdependent systems to address pressing agricultural, nutritional, and environmental challenges. Founded by Flagship Pioneering in 2018, Invaio leverages discoveries from diverse fields including human therapeutics, agriculture, environmental science, and advanced manufacturing. The company’s deep understanding of the physiology of insects, plants, and trees, together with its novel integrated solutions approach, promises to refine agricultural practices and reduce the need for pesticides globally.
We don’t think in small steps. We think in giant leaps. We are driven by the pursuit of new ideas, new innovations, and new ways of thinking. We know that every one of us matters and that our success depends on our ability to work together in a diverse community. We believe we are at our best as a company when our employees are thriving and foster a culture that provides opportunities to grow and develop professionally, while also having fun.
No matter who you are, Invaio is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, and community to help guide us as we build a better Invaio. Every voice, every perspective matters.
Invaio Sciences, Inc., was founded in 2018 by Flagship Pioneering, an early-stage life sciences innovation company. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of around 100 science-based companies, resulting in more than $30 billion in aggregate value, thousands of patents, and a pipeline of more than 50 clinical development programs.
Invaio is headquartered in Cambridge, MA, USA, with offices in Research Triangle Park, NC, USA; Basel, Switzerland; and Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Our Invaio Research & Development team based in Cambridge, MA is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Senior Scientist or Engineer to join our Process Development team advancing our proprietary microbial minicell technologies for agricultural applications. You will lead efforts to develop, optimize, and characterize upstream minicell processes for a variety of products and payloads against a variety of crop pests, working cross-functionally with project, strain development, analytical development, and bio-assay teams. You will support scale-up and manufacture of successful processes for registrational data studies and commercialization. You will work to advance our technology and solve a diverse set of challenges in sustainable agriculture.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Lead fermentation process development activities across all relevant programs at Invaio
- Coordinate projects scientifically and operationally cross-functionally as a leader both at the team and project/program level - this role will take on at least 1 direct report following successful integration into the team
- Characterize minicell formation and payload incorporation into minicells by development and implementation of new analytical methodologies
- Identify and optimize critical parameters for maximizing payload incorporation into minicells, and maximizing minicell formation during fermentation
- Design and Scale-up fermentation processes to support registrational data studies and commercialization
- Coordinate and execute on external and internal production activities to support bioassays, greenhouse trials, and field trials
- Present scientific findings in cross-functional team meetings, write protocols and reports, document results in laboratory notebooks
- Actively participate in efforts to identify, evaluate, and access third-party services and technologies that will accelerate development of Invaio’s technologies
- Make key inventive contributions to Invaio’s growing intellectual property portfolio
- Contribute to a dynamic, exciting culture that embraces teamwork, innovation, and professional development
- Ph.D. in Biochemical Engineering, Microbiology, or related discipline
- 5+ years of relevant laboratory experience in an industry setting
Experience & Credentials:
- Advanced knowledge of microbial cell physiology, fed-batch fermentation design, and scale-up of fermentation processes – E. coli, yeast, B. subtilis, other fungi
- Industrial experience with fermentation scale-up to commercially relevant scales preferred (15,000L+)
- Self-starter who is excited to both apply their skills and branch out into new areas of expertise
- Detail-oriented with a focus on continual operational improvement within the process development team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner
- People management experience preferred
- Execution focused, team-oriented with an ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment
Inquiries & Considerations:
Invaio is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to a proactive program of diversity development. Invaio will continue to recruit, hire, train, and promote into all job levels without regard to race, religion, gender, marital status, familial status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, source of income, or veteran status.