Interstellar Lab is a groundbreaking company at the forefront of biology, AI, and space exploration. Our mission is to harmonize advanced technology with ancient agricultural wisdom to cultivate plants on Earth and in Space. We specialize in optimizing the growth and composition of a diverse range of high-value plants, including medicinal, cosmetic, food, and tropical varieties.
We are seeking a highly skilled and innovative Research & Innovation (R&I) Scientist with expertise in chemistry, plant-based raw material sourcing, crop science, Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), and complementary proficiency in data science. The primary responsibilities of this role will include sourcing plant-based raw materials and developing a tool to measure the environmental impact of these materials within the BioPod. Proficiency in data sciences and prior experience in managing a raw material catalog would be advantageous.
- Source and assess plant-based raw materials suitable for cultivation within the BioPod, taking into consideration sustainability, ethical consideration, quality, and suitability for controlled environment agriculture.
- Develop a comprehensive tool for evaluating the environmental footprint of plant-based raw materials, utilizing Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) methodologies.
- Conduct comprehensive environmental impact assessments (Life Cycle Assessments - LCA) for plant-based raw materials to quantify and mitigate their environmental footprint.
- Collaborate closely with our plant scientists to optimize plant growth conditions based on the sourced raw materials and LCA findings, ensuring a sustainable and efficient approach.
- Leverage data science techniques to analyze and interpret data related to plant growth, environmental impact, sustainable practices and crop performance.
- Manage and maintain a catalog of plant-based raw materials, continuously updating and improving it based on new findings and research.
- Contribute to interdisciplinary research projects related to various cultivation systems, including BioPod and NUCLEUS.
- Master's degree (MSc) or Ph.D. in a relevant field such as chemistry, crop science, environmental science, or a related discipline.
- Proven expertise in plant-based raw material sourcing, with an emphasis on sustainability and suitability for controlled environment agriculture.
- Experience in conducting Life Cycle Assessments (LCAs) to evaluate the environmental impact of raw materials.
- Proficiency in data science, including data analysis, modeling, and interpretation.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration abilities.
- Innovative mindset with the capacity to think critically and creatively.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience in managing a catalog of raw materials.
- Familiarity with plant physiology and growth optimization.
- Project management experience.
This position is based in Paris, France, with occasional travel to our site at NASA Kennedy Space Center in the United States.
Compensation and Benefits:
Your compensation package, including base salary, will be determined based on your qualifications, experience, and knowledge. In addition to your base salary, you may be eligible for long-term incentives, such as company stock or stock options. Interstellar Lab offers comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks.
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or other legally protected characteristics. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace that reflects the global communities we serve.
If you are a passionate and innovative R&I Scientist with expertise in chemistry, plant-based raw material sourcing, crop science, LCA, and data science, and you are excited about making a positive impact on sustainable agriculture, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity at Interstellar Lab. Join us in our mission to cultivate a better future on Earth and beyond.