Our mission is to build a future full of life, on Earth and beyond. Our vision: a future where technology is enabling humans to live in harmony with their environment. A future where biodiversity thrives on Earth and life expands in space. To do so we design and build environment-controlled modules able to create ideal conditions for plants to grow efficiently everywhere – making possible durable farming and biodiversity conservation on Earth, and optimized life-support in space.
Interstellar Lab has two facilities: a 25,000SF lab and pilot factory in France (Paris area) and a prototyping facility at NASA KSC in Florida. The company is currently working on enlarging its facilities to scale BioPod production and develop new payloads.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES LOCATION FLEXIBILITY AND TRAVELLING BETWEEN LOS ANGELES - PARIS - CAP CANAVERAL SITES.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Interstellar Lab is looking for Lead Hardware Engineer. He/she will lead our expanding team of engineers and will be an integral part of designing, manufacturing and assembly on wide array of products covering terrestrial, low Earth orbit, Lunar, and Mars use.
More specifically, the Lead Hardware Engineer is responsible for developing, manufacturing and assembly of the atmospheric, hydraulic, growing, LED and control systems of all Interstellar Lab controlled-environment pods including BioPod (Earth) and NUCLEUS (NASA-backed food production system for long term manned-missions).
You will be responsible for supporting design/analysis, qualification, manufacturing/production and assembly of hardware. Development scope includes identifying inputs, detailed design and analysis, design reviews, qualification then implementation into production. This includes mechanical testing, inspection techniques, and all associated tooling required for assembly.
As the Lead Hardware Engineer for Interstellar Lab, you will collaborate with CEO and all team Leads to set the technical strategy and direction for our products to ensure that we deliver on our ambitions. You will manage the engineering team and support the growth of the team.
This position requires minimum of 12years+ hands-on experience in hardware development and manufacturing in automotive and/or aerospace industry.
- Lead and develop a team of engineers
- Mentor and foster the continual technical and professional development of team members
- Manage Hardware Design and Manufacturing
- Develop and implement manufacturing processes, techniques, and tools to enable efficient and high rate manufacturing
- Coordinate and execute development, qualification, testing of systems, tooling, and facility improvements needed to meet production rate and quality requirements
- Create original analysis, CAD models, and prints
- Execute design for manufacturability changes to enhance production efficiency
- Lead and prioritize the product lifecycle/engineering schedule (operations, release, development, quality assurance, and support) for our portfolio of products
- Strong experience in mechanical and manufacturing engineering to lead the development of our cutting-edge technologies
- Minimum 12+ years of experience in automotive and/or aerospace
- Use to work in innovative and fast-paced environment
- Master’s Degree in Engineering required, Mechanical and/or Aerospace preferred
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and execution within managing both production and development projects
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the product life cycle
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and ability to lead engineers
- Proven track record in development, manufacturing and shipping products
- Technical project management experience
- Excellent technical expertise and judgment across multiple engineering disciplines permitting peer-level review of the team’s work product
- Proven track record of building and leading high-performance engineering teams
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at Interstellar Lab. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks.
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.