At Interstellar Lab our mission is to build a future full of life, on Earth and beyond. We believe in a future where technology is enabling humans to live in harmony with nature, a future where biodiversity thrives and expands, a future where terrestrial life become multi-planetary.
To build this future, we design, manufacture and operate controlled-environment biofarms that unleash the power of plants. On Earth and in Space. Our solutions combine Hardware, AI and Bioscience. We use controlled-environment technology to mimic a multitude of conditions to allow plants, fungi and microorganisms to grow faster and better.
On Earth, we are pioneering biofarming at scale, boosting production of bioactive compounds and providing a sustainable and safe source of plant materials. In Space, we provide farming units to grow efficiently food for astronaut while accelerating plant research in microgravity.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES LOCATION FLEXIBILITY AND TRAVELLING BETWEEN LOS ANGELES - PARIS - CAP CANAVERAL SITES.
In collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team composed of plant scientists, software engineers, aerospace engineers, mechanical engineers, architects and material scientists, you will work on the design, development, and assembly of our atmospherics and hydraulics systems.
The ideal candidate has previously worked on through design and assembly of life support systems for manned missions to space. They are passionate about closed ecological systems and regenerative, closed-loop systems. He/she has knowledge of physicochemical life support solutions and is curious to explore its integration with biological systems. The candidate has a hunger to understand biospheres and planetary science at a fundamental level which is able to drive them to deliver solutions for systems both for Earth and in space. You have a maker & hacker mentality and are able to go beyond the circle of standard solutions, you can understand, adapt and learn quickly in a challenging environment.
- Responsible for design, development, and build of ECLSS components
- Bill of materials preparation and component management
- Creating component specifications and drawings
- Schematic and diagram generation
- Perform CAD and 3D modelling
- Plan and perform testing of ECLSS components and integrated assemblies
- Perform analysis of test results and communicate path forward to team members
- Generate test plans, procedures, and reports
- Support and perform reliability testing, hardware verification, and validation.
- Own product delivery timeline through conception, design, fabrication and assembly
- Demonstrate extreme ownership of product outcomes at every stage of development and production
- Coordinate with engineers from other disciplines to establish a complete system design
- Lead design reviews internally and externally with suppliers and customers
- Interface with our OEM partners, suppliers, and component suppliers.
- Travel to remote offices, engineering partners, and manufacturing partners.
- Assist the government affairs team with technical expertise for various proposal submissions.
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related field required
- 5+ years’ experience in life support engineering, or similar role preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Significant experience with mechanical design and analysis including component sizing and selection
- Hands on experience building, testing and/or assembling hardware
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- GD&T experience and knowledge
- CAD design and navigation
- Programming for test and analysis
- Fluids and thermodynamics experience
- Full cycle engineering design process
- NASA Flight Hardware development experience
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at Interstellar Lab. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks.
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.