At Interstellar Lab, We imagine, We Design, We Make.
As a Inflatable Mechanics Engineer, you will join the structure team to work on BioPod and EBIOS prototypes, modules and stations.
You want to contribute to building the next generation of habitat and food production solutions for Earth as well as advancing our path towards space exploration. You want to be part of a cross-disciplinary, dynamic and innovative team of talented individuals sourced from across the globe.
This is a fantastic opportunity for forward-thinking and ambitious engineers who are passionate about pushing the limits of what engineering can achieve and curious about cutting-edge approaches in a wide range of fields such as biology, AI and material sciences.
We are looking for a Inflatable Mechanics Engineer to join our team, whose mission is to invent the future of deployable habitat and food production system on Earth, the Moon and Mars. We are specifically looking for a candidate who has demonstrated experience extending multi-physics models to the design of stretchable and inflatable mechanical systems. Candidates will have the opportunity to influence and inform discoveries across soft robotics, haptics, microfluidics, functional materials, and additive manufacturing through system modeling, simulation, optimization, and design.
As the Inflatable Mechanics Engineer, you will be conceiving and designing all the mechanical engineering of our inflatable domes structure. You will collaborate with ECLSS (Environment Controlled Life Support System) engineering team, architect team and 3D Printing team to develop, build and integrate all systems together.
You are passionate about environmental solutions and want to contribute in designing and building innovative and efficient mechanical structure. You are interested in 3D Printing, new materials and folding structure. You are passionate about space exploration and want to contribute in designing systems that we will need to live on other planets.
- Design, analyze, and create drawings in a fast paced environment
- CAD of mechanical and structural systems for EBIOS domes
- Collaborate on DFMA, testing, assembly
- Perform structural and design related analysis and calculations including CFD and FE
- Work with structural analysis to verify capabilities of structure before fabrication
- Holds design reviews and presentations among peers
- PhD with focus on fluid dynamics and/or solid mechanics. Background can include aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, bioengineering, robotics, mechatronics, applied physics, or other related areas.
- 5+ years hands-on experience (post terminal degree) with building, testing, verifying, and validating computational models of real engineered systems.
- Experience working with technical partners (internal or external) to deliver integrated engineering projects such as complex validation experiments or simulation environments.
- Experience collaborating and communicating effectively in team settings.
- Demonstrated publication or patent record of research with finite element, finite volume, finite difference, or boundary element models of other relevant multi-physics systems.
- Solid experience with SolidWorks, CATIA, Simulia, ANSYS
- Self-starter, flexible and able to work under pressure and meet deadlines consistently
Location: Paris (FRANCE) then Los Angeles