As the Plant Production Scientist, you will join our team of scientist, engineers and designers. You are a world-class plant scientist or research-oriented grower who provides vision and technical leadership, embraces the complexity of biological systems, has a hunger to understand our biosphere and planetary science at a fundamental level, and is driven to deliver solutions for food production systems both on Earth and also in Space. You are passionate about plants, you believe in value of permaculture and believe there is way for technology and ancient agriculture wisdom to work together.
You are excited to collaborate with the team on the design and engineering of our plant production systems, of our crop selection and monitoring algorithms and also looking forward to lead research internally as well as with other institutes in soil-based, hydroponics and aeroponics environment-controlled plant growth systems. You want to contribute in building the future of food productions systems on Earth and beyond.
- Lead the development of research on environment-controlled plant growth systems
- Propose, design, perform, and document experiments in plant selection, production and processing
- Collaborate on the development of growing models, growing algorithms
- Participate in research collaborations both inside and outside the company
- Define standards, frameworks, and tools for how research and development is done at Interstellar Lab
- Contribute to crossover research in soil-based, hydroponics and aeroponics systems
- Collaborate with team in design and engineering of EBIOS plant production systems
- MSc degree in the biological or physical sciences
- Deep understanding of plant physiology, nutrition, and pathology
- Basic or applied research experience
- Excellent communication skills, flexibility, and empathy
- Ability to “think like plants” — to look at plant production in a holistic manner and identify what plants want, using both data analysis and hands-on interaction
- Knowledge and experience in controlled environment agriculture
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Practical knowledge in data analysis, experimental design, statistics, plant modeling, plant imaging or scientific computing
- Project management experience
- Life sciences laboratory experience
Los Angeles (United States) or/and Paris (France).