Who are We?
Intersection is an experience-driven Out of Home media and technology company that delivers programming, consumer amenities, and advertising to cities. From free internet access to way-finding to real-time information, our products make city life easier and more sustainable. We further enrich cities with experiential programming that inspires and engages people throughout their day. With valuable, diverse audiences in America’s top cities, we provide innovative, data-driven solutions for brands to reach urbanites at scale.
LinkNYC is a first-of-its-kind communications network that provides free super fast, public Wi-Fi, phone calls, device charging, and access to city services to millions of New Yorkers and visitors across the five boroughs. And through content programs like Link Local and #ArtOnLink, LinkNYC is also a platform for community and civic engagement that supports small businesses, community organizations, and local artists. LinkNYC is delivered through a partnership between the City of New York and CityBridge, a NYC-based consortium of leading experts in media, technology, and connectivity.
LinkNYC recently received a $200 million investment that will accelerate the expansion of the network throughout New York City, expanding 5G access and bringing free high-speed Wi-Fi and other critical services to more New Yorkers in more neighborhoods across the city. Over the next several years, LinkNYC will more than double its current footprint, expanding its free public Wi-Fi network across thousands of newly deployed, second generation 5G-enabled kiosks, called Link5G. We’re building out our team to help us achieve our ambitious goals.
What is the Role?
LinkNYC is seeking an experienced, strategic leader to direct and manage LinkNYC’s external communications on behalf of CityBridge (which owns and operates LinkNYC). You will design, implement, and oversee communications activities that effectively position the program, build positive public perception, and influence and drive support from target audiences.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Strategy: Develop LinkNYC’s Communications strategy to support business, deployment, and political objectives.
- News/Announcements: Direct, manage and develop all company news and announcements, including the development of press strategy and press materials (releases/holding statements/Q&As, etc.) for both proactive and reactive communications (this includes development of proposals to generate outbound story proposals and coordinating responses to inbound story leads and inquiries). This also includes the development of reporter/media interviews
- Cross-Functional Management: Serve as liaison & point of contact coordination of PR & marketing materials across multiple government agencies & outside partners, including: OTI (fka DoITT), City Hall, community groups, BIDs ZenFi, etc.
- PR Agency and Press Management: Oversee external PR agency. Manage business as usual day-to-day activities and overall performance of the PR agency. Serve as a press spokesperson as needed. Support CEO and other speakers with presentations, talking points, and background info.
- Work Product Collateral Generation: Write, edit, and coordinate all PR materials, press statements and responses. Regularly update and maintain all media materials including talking points, FAQs, advisories, and statements. Fact check all current and historic statements across multiple channels (including prior press claims, contractual requirements, operational data, etc.) Provide design direction and write all copy for all user/ public-facing materials such as flyers, event marketing materials, sponsorship events, brochures, website updates, etc.
- Story Generation :Regularly meet with internal stakeholders (e.g., engineering, community, operations) and external partners (ZenFi, community boards), & PR agency to story-mine (for positive press), generate potential PR opportunities or storyline pitches
- Risk Mitigation and Crisis Management: Flag risks and concerns in real time that may become PR issues. Respond to negative press coverage and coordinate strategies for PR crisis response. Work with internal stakeholders to develop and maintain a Crisis Scenario and Response Plan
- Internal Management: Coordinate with Intersection and CityBridge management teams to write and develop talking points to Sales team and senior leadership during periods significant program milestones (e.g., new product launch(Link5G) and crises.
- Social Media Management: Create messages and content for social media channels, including responses to negative, viral, and political posts
- Community Management: Work with the Director of External Affairs to produce local/community events and lead supporting communications activities. Create and implement strategy to publicize LinkNYC’s cause and philanthropic efforts (e.g., in sustainability).
- Campaign Management: Drive execution of multi-layered, multi-channel campaigns (i.e., coordination of simultaneous release in different outlets)
Develop KPIs and report results
You’re great for this role because you have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 6-10 years of experience working in a public relations, communications or public affairs agency or in-house for political, government, tech, or telecommunications organization
- Ability to convey business and technical concepts
- Demonstrated experience in crisis communications
- Ability to work effectively with C-suite executives
- Self-directed, results-driven, and able to multitask in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Energetic leader who has a passion for LinkNYC’s mission and a commitment to build and position the organization for success.
- Intellectual curiosity, including the ability to listen to and learn from multiple voices.
- Relationships with local media contacts a plus
Intersection is the managing member of CityBridge and the hiring entity. At LinkNYC you’ll have access to all of Intersection’s incredible benefits and career opportunities.
Total Cash compensation: $139,000.00 - $204,000.00
At Intersection we celebrate every voice that makes us unique and every perspective that makes us grow. It’s our shared responsibility to create an equitable environment where every employee contributes to the culture of the company. Our products and offerings impact cities across the world and it’s our goal to represent the diversity and differences that make cities special. We will be relentless in that pursuit, because together we are better. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status