Who are we?
At Intersection, we are at the forefront of the smart cities revolution. Our mission is to improve daily life in cities and public spaces, with products that bridge the digital and physical worlds by delivering connectivity, information and content to enrich our everyday journeys and elevate the urban experience.
We pair our human-centered methodology with cutting-edge technology to design, develop, deliver, and maintain unique products and experiences in public space that deliver value to advertisers, cities, and consumers. Whether partnering with urban transit systems to revolutionize commuting and travel, with cities to transform how they connect with residents and visitors, or private developers to create unforgettable experiences in neighborhoods and districts, our solutions are scalable platforms on which our clients can build the future.
Intersection is backed by Alphabet through its urban technology company Sidewalk Labs.
What is the role?
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer at Intersection, you'll build the platform that our engineers use to deliver content to hundreds of transit touchscreens, smart cities kiosks, and advertising displays. You'll support Serverless applications, Docker applications, and the AWS infrastructure that they run on, and you'll also maintain the thousands of Linux computers that run our software in the street - something that you don't get to do with your average web app. We're building the tools to help our developers keep shipping, we take an automation-first approach to infrastructure, and we've got a product like no other.
Your first 30 days, you will:
- Be introduced to the squad of talented developers that you'll be working with
- Learn how our AWS resources are managed
- Learn what's inside of digital displays and smart cities kiosks
- Learn how we maintain those digital displays from a distance, at scale
- Understand our CI pipelines
- Ship your first PR
Your first 60 days, you will:
- Have a strong understanding of the software your team is building
- Be a dependable DevOps resource for developers who need help with tools and infrastructure
- Assist the support team with troubleshooting
- Identify some processes we can improve with automation
- Add yourself to the on-call rotation
Your first 90 days, you will:
- Attend a quarterly team outing
- Participate in high-level planning to make our products leaner, more fault-tolerant, and more reliable
- Create and own something that becomes a lasting piece of our toolkit
- Become a valued and indispensable part of the engineering team
- See the impact of your work in the real world
You are awesome for this role because:
- You keep your infrastructure in Git using tools like Ansible or Puppet
- You can write scripts in Bash or Python - the ability to support large Python, Go, or Scala applications a plus
- You automate everything because you don't like doing the same thing twice.
- You keep your scripts useful by writing them with a focus on reusability and self-documented code
- You have experience building metrics, logging, and monitoring to keep things running; We use CloudWatch, Datadog, and Splunk
- You're not afraid to log onto a system and diagnose performance issues or track down bugs the old-fashioned way
- You have experience building and running production Docker applications with Docker Swarm or Kubernetes
- You've got at least 3 years of experience building AWS applications (and bonus points if you did it with automation)
- You have at least 5 years of running web applications in a Linux environment
Intersection is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Consistent with our mission of serving a diverse and global audience, we value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture which reflects that. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.