Intergalactic Therapeutics was created to overcome the limitations of viral-based gene therapy and develop a best-in-class non-viral alternative. Intergalactic uses synthetic biology and engineered gene circuits to make covalently closed and circular DNA (“C3DNA”) molecules designed to provide a potentially safer and more effective solution for patients. As industry leaders in developing cutting edge gene therapies, Intergalactic invests heavily in creating a collaborative, curious, committed, and courageous environment that promotes scientific curiosity and innovation.
Intergalactic Therapeutics is seeking a Vice President, Discovery Research & Biology to lead the company’s efforts in identifying, validating and rapidly translating novel and high-value ophthalmology gene therapy targets from concept into first-in-class therapeutics for ocular diseases. The ideal candidate will be independent, motivated, and work with a sense of urgency. They will efficiently lead strategic aspects of projects, ensuring progression of multiple parallel projects, leading cross-functional teams and acting as a thought leader and resource in discovery biology with an emphasis on ophthalmology across the organization. The VP, Discovery Research & Biology will work as a member of the R&D Leadership on the alignment of the research portfolio with respect to the corporate mission, goals, and objectives. They will stay current on new and emerging science that could contribute towards advancing the company’s pipeline objectives and broader scientific enterprise and will represent the company at external scientific conferences and support the external communications and due diligence related to the company’s science and pipeline programs. We are searching for enthusiastic, innovative, and self-motivated individuals who are comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Oversee the development of Intergalactic’s Discovery Research & Biology functions; create and articulate a compelling long-term vision for the R&D team.
- Provide scientific leadership, expertise, and management from discovery through translational activities with a focus on identifying drug targets and high-priority disease indications, progressing assets into the clinic, interrogating and elucidating mechanism of action, identifying appropriate disease models, conducting pharmacology studies, and rapidly progressing therapeutic programs forward through R&D.
- Report and communicate progress to executive management, Board of Directors, and external partners.
- Manage and lead a cross-functional team while also mentoring and developing direct reports and project leaders.
- Thoroughly understand corporate objectives to align project plans and priorities.
- Contribute to regulatory filings, patent applications and manuscripts published in peer-reviewed journals.
- PhD or equivalent in biological sciences with significant experience advancing gene therapy-focused drug discovery projects into development in a pharmaceutical or biotech environment
- Deep understanding and industry experience across indications in ophthalmology is a strong plus
- First-hand experience authoring and reviewing gene therapy-based IND applications in compliance with FDA and other regulatory bodies’ rules and regulations.
- Commitment to identifying simple, critical path discovery cascades and creating scalable, high quality experimental systems that can translate throughout a program’s lifecycle.
- Excellent leadership capabilities with at least 15 years of experience, and significant prior biotech/biopharma industry experience in guiding and motivating successful teams, as well as building and managing productive research collaborations.
- Very strong communication and partnering skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence others in a matrixed work environment.
- Deep knowledge of gene or cell therapy, including viral and non-viral delivery modalities.
We believe diverse backgrounds lead to innovative thinking that enables effective treatment for millions of patients. Intergalactic is committed to making our organization an inclusive place for all individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, age, sex and gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, familial status, disability status, veteran status, genetic information or any other protected class. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are selected to interview, to request an accommodation either as part of the interview process or during your potential employment with Intergalactic, please let your recruiter know and a member of our HR team will reach out to you.
If you feel energized by what you read here, but aren’t sure you meet every requirement, please consider applying! Above all, we’re looking for the right person with skills and talent to grow the company together all while enriching your professional and scientific experience.