The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it. 🛠️
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. In February 2017, Intercom announced it had surpassed $50M in annual recurring revenue, an increase from $1M in ARR just three years prior, making it one of the fastest-growing companies in tech. Today more than 17,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Senior Product Researchers are trusted advisors at Intercom and champion the use of research to inform and drive product direction. Senior Product Researchers collaborate with Product Managers, Designers, Analysts and Engineers to define research problems and then execute research studies to solve them. It’s their job to own and drive research projects from start to finish.
Senior Product Researchers also provide mentoring and support to other team members and help evolve the research capability to meet Intercom’s changing needs.
Intercom uses formative research to identify what problems our customers have and design research to ensure products are intuitive and easy to use. Research is involved at every stage of the product development process; from understanding problems, the evaluation of concepts to monitoring of products post-launch.
Research plays a key part in the product development process by helping the team to understand the opportunities, contexts, audience and experiences. Working at pace is key and we experiment with processes, methodologies and ways of working to provide product teams with critical insights as quickly as possible.
What skills do I need? 📖
We want big thinkers with small egos.
Ideal candidates have the following:
- 3 years + working as a user experience researcher on digital products.
- Expertise in conducting end-to-end user research studies; planning, recruitment, execution, analysis and delivery.
- An expert's understanding of rigour and methodological validity in research and how to get the most out of a project with tight constraints.
- An ability to develop strong partnerships with PMs and Designers - to positively challenge assumptions, unpick ambiguous contexts and define problems to solve.
- Expertise in a wide variety of research methodologies and an ability to apply them on problems of different size and scope; formative and summative; qualitative and quantitative; tactical and strategic.
- An understanding of the Jobs to Be Done framework is preferred.
- Can communicate research findings in creative and impactful ways.
- Your work has had real impact and shaped the user experience of digital products and websites. You have worked on both desktop and mobile products.
- A strong understanding of the psychological basis of user research.
- Ideally an MSc in Human-Computer Interaction or related degree or experience.
- Happy to be accountable for defining, managing and running research projects end to end.
- Grow the value of research through thought leadership and relationship building.
- Excellent collaboration skills and enjoy working as part of a cross-functional team delivering a solution.
- A passion for building amazing products, not just conducting research.
- A strong sense of independence, ownership and initiative.
- Looks for opportunities to learn and develop themselves and others.
- Capable of working in a lean and informal way to get deliver insights quickly.
- Fascinated by people, their behaviors and motivations.
- Interested in technology and its impact on society and individuals.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday, plus a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - great work is rewarded!
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid parental leave program
- 401k plan
- Commuter benefits
- In-office bicycle storage
- Keep active with our wellness program that allows you to expense your gym membership and other sports activities up to $90 quarterly
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!