The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Intercom is one of the fastest growing technology companies of this generation by almost every measure. Despite our success to date we believe the best is yet to come. We’re still early in our life and have a long future ahead. We’re a product first company, with founders and senior leaders having a background in product and design.
We’re on a mission to make internet business personal. Prior to the internet all business was personal. But the standard today has stripped that away, forcing people to fill in forms, be referenced as a ticket number, being forced to use impersonal email. It doesn’t have to be this way. We’re building a Messenger first suite of products for sales, marketing and support teams to help people connect and talk to other people.
We’ve built an environment where deliberate action, solid process, decisiveness and assertive discussion brings results. We don’t blame other people or teams, we are open and honest about our mistakes and aim to learn and improve with each step we take. Progress is more important than perfection, and we make progress through supportive and clear communication and committing wholly to decisions made. We think horizontally and collaborate as one team.
What will I be doing? 🚀
The Director of Engineering will partner with the Director of Product to lead the fast growing Intercom London office. Together, you will be the founding leadership team of something that will grow much bigger; playing a pivotal role defining large parts of the future of Intercom.
Currently the London office owns big areas and things of very high strategic importance:
You will help us build a world class Engineering team at Intercom, spending your time helping to create high performing teams who are passionate about building great products. Check out our blog to hear more about our culture, how we build, and how we think, with everything from how we increase our impact by running less software, how designers and engineers collaborate, how engineers build customer empathy, or how we’ve fixed our on-call process to avoid engineer burnout.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Coaching, mentoring and influencing some of the most exceptional engineers and engineering managers in the engineering world, to ensure that each individual team member and manager is set up for success.
- Growing and scaling diverse, inclusive and high performing teams. Know when and how to build new teams for new challenges. Hire and retain world class people.
- Partner with Product leadership to drive the overall product strategy for our London based teams, and contribute to the overall Intercom product strategy.
- Work with senior R&D and engineering leadership in Dublin and SF to ensure we have strong and consistent culture and connectedness between our different R&D centres.
- Being accountable for on-time, high quality roadmap execution.
- Creating, improving and driving operational excellence, quality, security and privacy initiatives across your teams and the entire engineering organization.
- Culture is what makes Intercom great, you will strive daily to reinforce and help evolve our amazing culture.
- Help Intercom London become established and broadly known as one of the very best Product engineering teams around. Build on our common and encouraged practice of openly sharing with the community what we are learning on this incredible journey.
- You will work with your team, and our people operations partners to maintain high performance, awesome morale, and career growth for all your team.
- Build an office and team where everyone feels like they belong, where people respect each other and cherish working together. Where people are challenged every day, and have a lot of fun along the way.
- Ensure Intercom in London always feels part of Intercom as a whole, with consistent values, principles, and ways of working, and yet develops its own local identity.
What skills do I need? 📖
You should be a builder and creator at heart. You should love the idea of getting hands on but know how to get out of the way for your team to thrive. You should love working with people, seeing them flourish and grow, challenging them to be their best, and have a deep connection to them, their teams, and their work.
- A wealth of technical knowledge and expertise, and you have likely built top engineering teams to ship a world-class product.
- Leadership and mentorship are hugely important and are skills that you utilise every single day. You love inspiring and coaching people to help them do the best work of their career.
- You take ownership of all projects and challenges that come your way, often complex or ambiguous, and make sure that they come to a solid conclusion.
- You’re proactive in everything, you love to work towards clear goals, and are extremely organised as you do so
- You know how to drive for constant growth, and you aim to make progress every single day
- You have likely driven significant organisation level improvements to how teams work in previous environments
- You’re a lateral thinker, you don’t put your own interests ahead of the greater good, and you’ve applied this thinking across previous teams
Bonus skills & attributes 🤓
- You’ve identified very strongly with our 'Progress over Perfection' value, and thrive in this type of working environment.
- You’re opinionated about the work that you do, and you stand up for something you believe in; you’re not agreeable just for the sake of it.
- You’re humble and honest, you know your strengths, but also your weaknesses. Setting up your environment to optimise for this knowledge comes naturally to you.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- Significant financial and logistical support available for people relocating to London.
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to £90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.