The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it. 🛠️
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing and customer support to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets business’ talk to customers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. In February 2017, Intercom announced it had surpassed $50M in annual recurring revenue, an increase from $1M in ARR just three years prior, making it one of the fastest-growing companies in tech. Today more than 20,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has raised $116M in venture funding and has 400 employees across San Francisco, Dublin, Chicago, London and Sydney.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Intercom helps thousands of businesses connect with hundreds of millions of users every day, and we’re just getting started. As we grow, we need people who can get their heads around the complex environment in which we operate, figure out what we need to do, and do it.
We’re looking for someone who exhibits the intellectual curiosity, rigor and self-awareness needed to take on challenges that span the breadth of our business. As part of the Business Operations team, you’ll drive key decisions and initiatives in collaboration with stakeholders across the company. You’ll get your hands dirty in the process. You'll construct persuasive cases for and against certain courses of action. You'll have executive-level visibility and a finger on the pulse of the overall business. You’ll act as an exemplar and mentor to both people on the team and outside the team.
What will I be doing? 🚀
Business Operations works, by necessity, on the highest impact business problems we face. As previously mentioned, you’ll collaborate with stakeholders across the company to drive key decisions and initiatives designed to address these problems. This involves:
- Gathering relevant context and data to inform the right course of action
- Building consensus and driving to a decision on the right course of action
- Operationalizing that decision and seeing the resulting initiative through to a successful outcome
- Aligning and partnering with cross-functional stakeholders (Finance, Marketing, R&D, Sales, Support, etc)
- On larger projects, leading a working group that might include multiple members of the team
Some examples of the kinds of projects you could work on:
- Developing a structured process for go-to-market stakeholders to prioritize product requirements as an input to the product roadmap
- Creating a coherent articulation of our long-term strategy with the executive team and deriving company objectives actionable in ~2 years
- Leading a cross-functional effort to rethink our pricing from the ground up and helping to drive the resulting implementation work
As the above list suggests, you should enjoy variety in your work, be comfortable with ambiguity and have an insatiable drive to make an impact.
What skills do I need? 📖
- 8+ years of experience:
- At least 2 years of operating experience within a technology company, within any mix of: Finance, Growth, Operations, Product, Product Marketing, Sales & Sales Operations, Strategy
- Experience in consulting, investing and financial advisory roles also counts
- Communications skills are essential
- You must be able to connect with people, be sympathetic and sensitive to their mindset, and modulate your own delivery to suit
- You must be able to structure and present complex topics on the page and in person. This requires sustaining a clear and concise style while writing long and involved documents
- Analytical skills are essential. We are self-sufficient, although we often work with the Analytics and Finance teams
- You must be familiar with Excel and/or other analytical tools
- You must be comfortable writing basic SQL (or be willing to learn)
- Ideally, you should have a basic working knowledge of statistical concepts (e.g. the difference between Type I & Type II error). This role does not involve in-depth statistical analysis
- You must be highly organized (i.e. able to store & recall tremendous amounts of context). How you do this is up to you (e.g. sticky notes, note-taking apps, a memory palace, etc.)
- Ability to travel internationally
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday, plus a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - great work is rewarded!
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy, 10 corporate holidays and winter break
- Paid parental leave program
- 401k plan
- Commuter benefits
- In-office bicycle storage
- Keep active with our wellness program that allows you to expense your gym membership and other sports activities up to $90 quarterly
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!