The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Our security team is responsible for making sure all our products are designed and implemented to the highest security standards. Keeping our customers' data secure is the most important thing that Intercom does. We're looking for an experienced engineer to join our team. Unlike most companies, we design and build our product entirely in Dublin, so you will be uniquely positioned to own and drive security policies and technologies across all parts of Intercom. Find out more about our engineering culture here. You will get to work directly with our product and infrastructure engineering teams on an interesting mix of application and infrastructure security projects. You will also build and own tools, services and infrastructure used across the company.
What will I be doing? 🚀
You will get to work directly with our product and infrastructure engineering teams, you will also build and own tools, services and infrastructure used across the company.
- Perform technical security assessments on web applications, mobile clients, and architecture designs
- Maintain and create secure development practices and programs for our growing engineering teams
- Communicate security risks to engineering teams through training and technical demonstration of vulnerabilities and secure design patterns for security topics
- Conduct security code reviews, and architectural reviews
- Partner with other teams at Intercom to constantly improve our defensive posture
- Work on new product features to make Intercom users and data more secure
- Help us maintain security compliance and certification
Example projects might include:
- developing a new secure signup workflow for the main Intercom application
- building a centralised, 2-factor authentication system to manage access to all internal Intercom systems
- evolving our operational logging infrastructure, adding alerting on unusual events
- helping us build a better corporate and production infrastructure
What skills do I need? 📖
You need to be an experienced security engineer, preferably a generalist or a specialist with an interest in all aspects of security. You should prefer automating work over manual processes - we love automation and would love you to build your own tools for automating processes.
- Practical experience and proficiency with a high level programming language (e.g. Ruby, Python, Perl) - this skill is essential for you to be able to create tools and work with product engineers on the existing body of code
- Solid understanding of web application architecture - Intercom is a web app, so you need to know how to secure web apps
- Solid understanding of threat modelling, web security vulnerabilities as well as their mitigation
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- Experience running and managing services on AWS or similar cloud services
- Familiarity with core internet technologies (e.g. TCP/IP)
- Background using Linux - all of our apps run on Linux
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too!
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas.