Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Come help us in our mission to optimise how Intercom utilises the cloud to deliver world class services to our customers. We are a diverse group of engineers who build software that solves some of Intercom’s biggest challenges - including protecting and strengthening our availability, our ability to scale our customer base, the cost of providing our service, and much more. We are part of the Infrastructure Group, and we work to a “zero touch ops” philosophy where we build automation to make it faster, safer, and easier for our developers to build, scale and operate cloud infrastructure.
As we continue to grow and scale we‘re looking for engineers to join us and help build out, and evolve the infrastructure that underpins the Intercom platform. This is a great opportunity to have significant impact and own projects of all shapes and sizes that will change how we go about running our infrastructure and operations.
You will have regular opportunity and support for career growth in a company that is continuing its own massive growth. We are constantly growing and forming new teams and you will have the opportunity to impact across multiple projects in the Infrastructure Group, while learning all about the cloud and how to operate SaaS at scale.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- You will be evolving our architecture to use modern cloud technologies. We’re already 100% based in the cloud, but we want to experiment with and take advantage of new capabilities all the time
- You will ship a change to production on your first day and demo a significant feature to the company in your first week. That “day one” change is automatically deployed to production along with 100 other deployments every day
- You care about agility as much you care for scalability and availability. Continuously deploying keeps us focused on incremental improvements. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece. Projects are kept short and tightly scoped. Teams build a weekly cadence of releases
- You will work as part of a team that practices HumanOps. We optimise to operate our people, not our technology. Our team does not have mandatory out-of-hours on call - we participate in an opt-in out-of-hours on call rotation spread across all of our engineering organisation
- You will gain experience with instrumenting systems to ensure maximum observability across all internal systems
- You will be proud of what you work on and obsess about the quality of the work you produce.
- Public speaking, blogging, open source contributions and community participation is something we strongly encourage, and reward. We run regular internal and external events to share how we think and how we go about building great systems and products
Join us to do the best work of your career !
What skills do I need? 📖
- You can demonstrate significant impact that your work has had, both on the technology side as well as with the teams you’ve been part of
- You have a good working knowledge of at least one high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Go or Perl) - it doesn’t need to be a language that we use here
- You have experience with one or more of Unix, networking, troubleshooting or databases
- You have an interest in working with cloud infrastructure and engineering for the scaling and reliability of business-critical infrastructure and services
What happens when I apply? 🤓
First, apply so we can review your CV :) As the next step, we will send you our take home test to work on in your own time. Next up is a phone interview with one of our engineers which will focus on technical and culture contribution questions (this is sometimes broken down into 2 interviews). Finally, we do an onsite interview in our Dublin office (we can help with travel arrangements, visas etc.).
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas