The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. In February 2017, Intercom announced it had surpassed $50M in annual recurring revenue, an increase from $1M in ARR just three years prior, making it one of the fastest-growing companies in tech. Today more than 17,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity?
Intercom is growing very fast. Over the past year we’ve more than doubled our Product and Engineering team to well over 100 people. This means that many processes we used 12 months ago no longer work as well. We need a Director of Product Management to help run the team, evolve our PM process, and ensure we continue to ship high quality product that our customers love. This is a key leadership position in our Product and Engineering team.
We’re looking for someone who agrees with our high level philosophy on how to build great product. That is, PMs should be constantly talking directly with our users, they should have a very strong understanding of design, they should be obsessing over all the last details of their product, and have unending curiosity for understanding whether their product solves the problems they set out.
Intercom is an incredibly rare opportunity to join a company that is still small but on it’s way to something much bigger, with a meaningful transformative mission, where you would work directly with a product, design and engineering team who’ve come from Airbnb, Google, Amazon, Lyft, Facebook, Apple and others. And best of all, be early enough to hold a leadership position where you play a key role in our success in the years ahead.
What will I be responsible for?
- Evolving the Product Management process at Intercom.
- Managing Product Managers and Senior Product Managers. Coaching them, mentoring them, ensuring they are set up to succeed and are successful in their role.
- Playing a key role in ensuring we ship high quality product in a fast focused manner, including but not limited to inputting into our strategic direction, product and project prioritization and planning, execution of projects, quality of design and build, helping set estimates for release, and hitting them.
- Building both short-term and long-term strategic product plans that consider user needs, business needs and the broader competitive landscape.
- Ensuring the products we’re building:
- Meet existing and future customer needs.
- Are of a very high executional quality.
- Taking full ownership of areas that we feel we need to focus on and improve. For example, how we measure successful product launches, how we measure product engagement or satisfaction, or how we improve our QA process.
- Helping grow and build our team in terms of hiring new people, and coaching and training our existing people.
- Ensuring the PM team are applying our process and acting out our values.
- Working closely with the Director of Design to ensure design is of a high standard.
- Working closely with the Director of Engineering to ensure we’re shipping great work.
What skills will I need?
- Multiple years working as a Product Manager on products that are recognised within their industry as world class.
- Proven ability to move these products forward strategically.
- Several years of experience directly managing other Product Managers including coaching, mentoring, and being responsible for their development.
- Real hands-on experience designing and building a product management process in a growing company, and evolving it over time.
- You must be extremely decisive, with the ability to move fast, having a strong bias for action and forward momentum always.
- You make logical, cogent arguments, and are predictable rather than ad hoc.
- You’re entrepreneurial, you don’t need direction, you're self driven.
- You are opinionated rather than consensus driven, yet the teams you’ve worked with love working with you.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch and dinner served every weekday, plus a variety of breakfast foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!