The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it. 🛠️
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. In February 2017, Intercom announced it had surpassed $50M in annual recurring revenue, an increase from $1M in ARR just three years prior, making it one of the fastest-growing companies in tech. Today more than 17,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has raised $116M in venture funding and has 350 employees across San Francisco, Dublin, Chicago, and London.
What's The Opportunity? 🤔
Intercom is growing rapidly and is very excited to open our UK office. Our revenue has increased 4-fold in 2015 and our Dublin R&D team has more than tripled in size in the past year. We now want to create and grow an R&D team in London and we’re looking for talented engineers to join us and help shape Educate, our newest and fastest growing product. A product that uses machine learning at its core.
This is more than a technical role, you’ll be a creative product and technical contributor. You’ll use your experience to inform our engineering practices and building new features and ensuring scalability and availability of the entire platform. You will be part of a multidisciplinary product team combining design, frontend and backend engineering. While specialisation is important, we discourage pigeonholing. Our most effective people work across design and implementation, making the right technology decisions to build the best product.
One of our senior engineers, joining from a major SaaS provider, described his experience as “Before, I saw customers through a very large telescope. Now I’m right beside them.” We love the satisfaction of hearing how happy our customers are with what we build for them.
What Will I Be Doing? 🚀
As an Senior Engineer you will:
- Be proud of what you work on, obsess about the quality of the work you produce. Join us to do the best work of your career
- Ship a change to production on your first day and a significant public release in your first week. That “day one” change is automatically deployed to production along with 100 other deployments each day
- Contribute to our technical architecture as we grow, ensuring we continue to remain fast and available as we scale quickly
- Care about agility as much you care for scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight. Projects are kept short and tightly scoped. Teams build a weekly cadence of releases
- Have regular opportunity and support for career growth. We are constantly growing and forming new teams. Whether you’re motivated to lead others or grow as an individual contributor, we hugely bias internal promotions and support growth
- Share your opinions through public speaking, blogging and open source contributions. Community participation is something we strongly encourage (and reward). We run events to share how we think and how we go about building great product - our last one was very well received
What skills do I need? 📖
- Ideally, you’ve built an exciting SaaS product in your previous roles and loved the satisfaction that comes with knowing that people around the world are using something you’ve created
- You can demonstrate significant impact that your work has had on the product or the team
- You have a deep working knowledge of at least one high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Perl etc.). It doesn’t need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working)
- You will have experience with Distributed systems
What happens when I apply? 🤓
First, apply so we can review your CV :) As the next step, we will send you our take home test to work on in your own time. You can find more details on the questions and how we evaluate answers here. The following step will be a phone interview with one of our engineers which will focus on technical and culture contribution questions (this step is sometimes broken down into 2 interviews). The final step is an onsite interview in our Dublin office (we can help with travel arrangements, visas etc.).
We are a well-treated bunch, with a range of awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you, talk to us! :)
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.