The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Intercom is growing fast. We've created an environment where product teams, with big ambitions, can ship high-quality product to our customers every week. Across a team of more than 70 engineers, we ship changes to production around 80 times each weekday. Our mission is to make web and mobile business personal. Come help us build a world-changing product, a long lasting company and the most effective R&D team possible.
We're particularly focused on building an organisation where people thrive, grow in their careers, and enjoy having high impact through their work. We're looking for experienced engineering managers to help us grow our capabilities and capacity.
The Intercom platform comprises of several different and connected products. Each product is designed and developed — through invention and iteration — by a single team. As an Engineering Manager, you'll partner with a product manager to define a product vision, strategy and roadmap.
You'll be expected to own your space: work with all disciplines on your team to build, launch and iterate. Talk directly with your customers, take part in usability studies, work with data analysts and researchers to ask the right questions and make good use of the answers.
This is an incredibly rare opportunity to join a company that's still small but on its way to something much bigger, with a meaningful transformative mission. You'll work directly with a product, design, and engineering team who've worked in places such as Amazon, Facebook, Google, Apple and Zendesk. And best of all, be early enough to hold a leadership position where you have a high impact role in our success over the coming years.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Collaboratively set a product and technical direction with your team.
- Support an ambitious group of engineers in their career goals. Work with our people ops team to maintain our high performance and high morale.
- Be actively involved in hiring and growing our engineering team.
- Care about agility as much you care about scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight. Projects are kept short and tightly scoped. Teams build a weekly cadence of releases.
- Drive, create and improve operational excellence, quality, security and privacy initiatives within your team and the entire engineering organization
- Help us evolve our culture
What skills do I need? 📖
- Management experience is a requirement. New managers are grown through our engineering team, so external hires must have hands-on experience of people management.
- You also need to have knowledge of a high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Perl etc.) but it doesn’t need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working). Our ideal is for every team to be comfortable working across the full stack, delivering new features and capabilities from start to finish.
- The core Intercom product is a Ruby on Rails application with an Ember.js frontend. We use MySQL and MongoDB for most of our storage, though we’re starting to migrate to other services like Amazon’s DynamoDB.
- We’re actively moving to a service-oriented architecture, with new components built using the most appropriate technology. So far that’s largely been in Java on Drop-wizard, and recently using Go.
- Our infrastructure runs entirely within Amazon Web Services and we make use of many of their services (DynamoDB, SQS, etc.) We like to buy the best tools and services where available but will build our own when we need to -- we use an in-house continuous deployment service and built our own lightweight project management tooling.
- Our iOS application and SDK are developed in Objective-C, while our Android application and SDK are Java. The web integration our customers use is built on React. We have API and integration clients for Ruby, Java and PHP with Go and Node.js coming soon (Python and Perl are community supported at the moment).
- If you want to take your career in a management direction but haven’t had the opportunity yet, we’d strongly encourage you to apply for our product engineering role. Career progression is important to us and if management is the path you’d like to take we can help you get there.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to £90 quarterly
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
What qualifications do I need?
Typically, a degree level qualification but at least NQF Level 6 (or similar)
What could I be paid?
The salary range for this role is £95,000-£120,000, depending upon the amount of experience you bring to the role.
When should I apply?
This recruitment programme started on 24 July 2018 and the closing date for applications is 21 August 2018.
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.