The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it. 🛠️
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. Today more than 17,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has raised $116M in venture funding and has 300 employees across its San Francisco headquarters, Dublin R&D office, and recently opened Chicago office.
What’s the opportunity? 🤔
Following our extraordinary success ($1m-$50m growth in revenue in 3 years), Intercom’s engineering team continues to increase in size. So we are looking for a Director of Engineering to join us. You will report directly to Darragh Curran, our VP of Engineering. You will be leading and responsible for an entire group of teams and partnering with Product & Design peers in leading them!
Intercom is a mission driven company: we are working to disrupt and redefine how entire categories of business operation and communication happens. At the core of Intercom’s DNA is the idea that we build an amazing software product and we do that by a) deeply understanding the problem, b) defining what success looks like, c) starting with a cupcake to learn, validate assumptions, course correct, and iterate towards the right product.
Join our engineering and R&D team while we’re still small, and help it grow and thrive rapidly over the years ahead. Play a strong role in influencing how we grow and evolving and reinforcing our Culture, Engineering values and Engineering Principles.
You should be a builder and creator at heart. You should love the idea of getting hands on but know how to get out of the way for your team to thrive. You should love working with people, seeing them flourish and grow, challenging them to be their best, and have a deep connection to them, their teams, and their work.
We’ve built an environment where deliberate action, solid process, decisiveness and assertive discussion brings results. We don’t blame other people or teams, we are open and honest about our mistakes and aim to learn and improve with each step we take. Progress is more important than perfection, and we make progress through supportive and clear communication and committing wholly to decisions made. We think horizontally and collaborate as one team.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Leading a number of talented Engineering Managers
- Coaching, mentoring and influencing some of the most exceptional engineers in the engineering world, to ensure that each individual team member and manager is set up for success
- Being accountable for on-time, high-quality roadmap execution
- Helping shape the strategy for your group and teams
- Creating, improving and driving operational excellence, quality, security and privacy initiatives across your teams and the entire engineering organisation
- Growing and scaling your existing teams. Know when and how to build new teams for new challenges
- Culture is what makes Intercom great, you will strive daily to reinforce and help evolve our amazing culture
- You will work with your team, and our people operations partners to maintain high performance, awesome morale, and career growth for all your team
What skills do I need? 📖
- You have a wealth of technical knowledge and expertise, and you have likely built top engineering teams to ship a world-class product
- Leadership and mentorship are hugely important and are skills that you utilise every single day. You love inspiring and coaching people to help them do the best work of their career
- You take ownership of all projects and challenges that come your way and make sure that they come to a solid conclusion
- You’re proactive in everything, you love to work towards clear goals, and are extremely organised as you do so
- You know how to drive for constant growth, and you aim to make progress every single day
- You have likely driven significant organisation level improvements to how teams work in previous environments
- You’re a lateral thinker, you don’t put your own interests ahead of the greater good, and you’ve applied this thinking across previous teams
Bonus skills & attributes 🤓
- You’ve identified very strongly with our 'Progress over Perfection' value, and thrive in this type of working environment
- You’re opinionated about the work that you do, and you stand up for something you believe in; you’re not agreeable just for the sake of it
- You’re humble and honest, you know your strengths, but also your weaknesses. Setting up your environment to optimise for this knowledge comes naturally to you
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday. There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBook Pros are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance
We are a diverse bunch of people here at Intercom and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.